Electric Field Due to Dipole Problem

• Thread starter Renaldo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Consider the following figure.

dipole.jpg

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

Homework Equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Consider the following figure.

dipole.jpg

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

Homework Equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.
For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.

For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.
Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?
Looks ok to me.

Looks ok to me.
All right. Thanks. Webassign doesn't like the answer but I feel confident in the math. Could be a problem with Webassign.