Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Due to Dipole Problem

1. Feb 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the following figure.

[​IMG]

For the electric dipole shown in the figure, express the magnitude of the resulting electric field as a function of the perpendicular distance x from the center of the dipole axis. (Use the following as necessary: k, q for the charges, x, and d.)

2. Relevant equations

Et= E1 + E2

E = k|q|/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

The x component of the electric fields will cancel out, leaving only the y-components. Adding the two vector fields in the y-direction:

[k|q|/r2]sinθ + [k|q|/r2]sinθ = 2[k|q|/r2]sinθ

r^2 = [d/2 + x^2]1/2

My final answer:

2[kq/[d2/4 + x2]1/2]sinθ

This is not correct.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For one thing r^2=x^2+(d/2)^2. You've got an extra square root. For another, you should be able to express sinθ in terms of x and d as well.

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    Yes, I noticed that extra square root. When I fix things up, and set sinθ equal to d/2r:

It's a lot of algebra, but it comes out to kqd/[(d2/4)+x2)]3/2. Does that look right?

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks ok to me.

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5
    All right. Thanks. Webassign doesn't like the answer but I feel confident in the math. Could be a problem with Webassign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?