1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field due to Two Point Charges

1. Jan 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges are placed on the x axis. The first charge, q1= 8 nC, is placed a distance 16m from the origin along the positive x axis; the second charge, q2= 6 nC , is placed a distance 9m from the origin along the negative x axis.

Find the electric field at the origin, point O.

Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. Keep in mind that an x component that points to the right is positive and a y component that points upward is positive.

Now, assume that charge q2 is negative; q2 = -6 nC. What is the net electric field at the origin, point O?

Give the x and y components of the electric field as an ordered pair. Express your answer in newtons per coulomb to three significant figures. Keep in mind that an x component that points to the right is positive and a y component that points upward is positive.

2. Relevant equations

E = [tex]\frac{kQ}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I start by "placing" a test charge at the origin.

Here's what I think I should do:

E = [tex]\frac{kQ_1}{r^2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{kQ_2}{r^2}[/tex]

E_1 = [tex]\frac{(9x10^9)(8x10^-9)}{16^2}[/tex] = 0.261 N/C

E_2 = [tex]\frac{(9x10^9)(6x10^-9)}{9^2}[/tex] = 0.667 N/C

E = E_1 + E_2 = 0.261 + 0.667 = 0.928 N/C

Am I right?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2008 #2
    The direction of the E-field is taken to be the direction of the force it would exert on a positive test charge so when you draw a diagram with a positive test charge how would the forces from the q1 and q2 be acting on it? In the same direction or opposite?

4. Jan 23, 2008 #3
    Since all of the charges are positive, they would repel, and thus create a force pushing it to the left.

Still not sure (electircity isnt my strong point)

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4
    q1 is to the right of the test charge (placed at the origin) and q2 is to the left of it.. draw a force diagram to see

6. Jan 23, 2008 #5
    ohhhh.... I thought the second charge was also placed on the positive x-axis

so would it be 0.667 - 0.261 since the force is pushing the test charge to the left?

and I just noticed that I posted it in the wrong section. Would someone be able to move it to intro physics?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?