Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Electric field effects in tne brain

1. Jul 16, 2010 #1
    This study presents evidence that the complex endogenous (internal) electric field generated by the activity of individual cortical neurons exerts a feedback which has a global modulating effect. The linked summary links to the full article (PDF). (The second link is a bit slow as this is a long article)

http://www.cell.com/neuron/abstract/S0896-6273(10)00463-0

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2010 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Great, thanks a lot. Now I have to add a mutual inductance term to my model.

4. Jul 16, 2010 #3
    Quite a few of them I would think.

5. Aug 10, 2010 #4
    Maybe i heard my brain's electric field switch off and on for a split second?

One night when i was sleeping and for the first time ever while in a deep sleep
    (only way i can describe it but like a Physorg article said , it's really interesting
    how deeply/closely the mind and body is connected) anyhow as i was saying:

That night while in deep sleep "something
    warned me that something was not right" It was as if i knew that i might not wake up again, as if my brain prepared me for my final moment. before i continue....

I do not know what it is called, or what it is, and if there is a term to describe it.
    It is as if when you are fast asleep, you become aware of your life support system. That night it was as if i heard inside my brain that something was switched off briefly, I can almost compare it to it sounding like a television set being switched off briefly, then it it came back on almost immediately. Never had such an experience.

But it was alarming and felt really frightening.

Suddenly i woke up. I took my pulse and found that after say every 18th beat
    my heart skipped a beat, sometimes the skipping happenned more frequent.

Since that day, my heart rate was fine and it never re-occured. I can tell you though,
    i probably never was so frightened as i was that night.

I don't drink or moke and i was excersisng hard at that time, might've been
    over excersising? But i do not really excersise a lot these days, only walking and hiking. I
    have a history of strenious excersisng "if one could call it that" Maybe it had to do with over training and not enough rest.

i never had any heart trouble history.

Just wanted to share this, don't no why :) This is a great site, with many interesting people, and opinions.

6. Aug 12, 2010 #5
    What you've described does not sound like "your brain turned off", but rather something that is called a hypnopompic hallucination. The increase in heart rate was a result of surprise and fear, and the sensation of missing beats is called "palpitations" which is a response to anxiety and stress. You have no reason to be afraid for your life.

7. Aug 13, 2010 #6
    I am now going to see a doctor.

8. Aug 13, 2010 #7
    Ooooook...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook