1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field expression problem

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    So here is the problem, there is thin rod of length L with total charge Q. The rod was placed so it is along the y-axis. From the rod a distance x is point P
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find an expression for the electric fields E at distance x from the end of the rod. Give your answer in component form

2. Relevant equations
    F= qE
    Delta Q= Lambda* Delta L (linearly charged density)
    E= integrate of delta E

3. The attempt at a solution
    I integrate and found the x-component of the electric fields but haven't been able to figure the y-component.....I'm not sure what is the limit for the y-component (my limit for x-component was 0 to L)

Thanks for all the helps

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

In this problem point P is fixed at a distance x from one end of the rod.
    Consider a small element dl on the rod. Charge on it will be Q/L*dl. Line joining P and dl make an angle theta with the rod. Due to this element field at P is given by
    dE = k*Q/L*dl/(x*2 + l*2)
    Its x-component is dE*sin(theta) = dE*x/(x^2 + l^2)^1/2 and limit will be 0 to L
    Its y-component is dE*cos(theta) = dE*l/(x^2 + l^2)^1/2 and limit will be 0 to L

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook