Electric field from two point charges

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on a 1.00 µC charge located at the center of an equilateral triangle with point charges A=1.00 µC, B=6.50 µC, and C=-4.20 µC at its corners. The force equation to use is F=kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the two charges, and r is the distance between them. By calculating the individual forces between the 1.00 µC charge and each of the other point charges, and then using vector addition, the net force can be found. The direction of the net force is
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

Three point charges are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle as in the figure below. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on the 1.00 µC charge.

(A = 1.00 µC, B = 6.50 µC, and C = -4.20 µC.)

magnitude N
direction ° counterclockwise from the +x-axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to even start.

Physics news on Phys.org
goWlfpack said:

Homework Statement

Three point charges are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle as in the figure below. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on the 1.00 µC charge.

(A = 1.00 µC, B = 6.50 µC, and C = -4.20 µC.)

magnitude N
direction ° counterclockwise from the +x-axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea where to even start.

What equations do you think applies?

I really don't know. I know that to find the electric field you use E=ke q1/r1^2 to find the E for the point. However i don't really know how to manipulate the equations to find the answers

goWlfpack said:
I really don't know. I know that to find the electric field you use E=ke q1/r1^2 to find the E for the point. However i don't really know how to manipulate the equations to find the answers

That is the equation for the E field, but they asked you for the Force.

What is the Force equation?

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle placed in its vicinity. It is created by electric charges and is represented by a vector quantity.

How is the electric field from two point charges calculated?

The electric field from two point charges can be calculated using the Coulomb's law. This law states that the electric field at a point is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the direction of the electric field from two point charges?

The direction of the electric field from two point charges depends on the relative positions and charges of the two charges. The electric field points away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

Can the electric field from two point charges cancel each other out?

Yes, it is possible for the electric field from two point charges to cancel each other out. This can occur if the magnitudes of the two charges are equal and they are placed at equal distances from the point of interest.

How does the distance between the two point charges affect the electric field?

The electric field from two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the electric field decreases. Similarly, when the distance decreases, the electric field increases.