1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field/ infinite charged sheet

1. Feb 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are three charged sheets with various charge densities. The following link shows a diagram, and solutions (not mine; these are some professor's solutions but I don't understand them yet):

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/PHY212.08spring/HW/WHW-3.pdf [Broken]

Draw vectors at each of the points A-D to show the direction and relative magnitude at the point due to a) sheet 1 b) sheet 2 c) sheet 3.

2. Relevant equations

E field due to infinite sheet = σ/2ε
    (where ε = permittivity constant and σ = charge density)

Flux = ∫ EdA = E*A = |E||A|cos(θ)

Gauss' Law: Flux = q(enclosed)/εo

3. The attempt at a solution

I know which direction the vectors go, but I don't know what their magnitudes are. Surfing the internet gave me this (scroll to last page):

http://www.phy.syr.edu/courses/PHY212.08spring/HW/WHW-3.pdf [Broken]

I know that the magnitudes of each vector of the electric field from each individual sheet from points A-D should be equal, because the electric field from a charged sheet doesn't depend on radius (for example, sheet 1's field could give vectors of magnitude |a| at every point).

However, I don't understand why sheet 2 (σ = -1), according to the above solutions, has vectors of twice the magnitude of sheets 1 and 3 (σ= +1). What am I missing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with you.

His solution is consistent with the center sheet having a surface charge density of -2σ0 .

(I have taught this subject for more than 20 years.)

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Thanks SammyS-- I'm glad I wasn't misunderstanding something.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook