A question on E Flux and Fields

Homework Statement

1. The field for an infinite charged sheet is found to be σ/2ε0. If we place 2 infinite sheets of opposite charge above one another, we say that the field in between the sheets is σ/ε0 due to the superposition of individual fields.

Why can't we say the same for a situation where a conducting sphere is embedded in another, and there is charge Q on the outer surface on the inner sphere and -Q on the inner surface of the outer sphere? By same I mean applying superposition on fields by Q and -Q.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The only reason i could think of was that it was impossible (to me) to find a Gaussian surface capable of enclosing the charge on the inner surface on the outer sphere, which was hardly a rigorous explanation.

Any help is much appreciated!

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
The fields in the case of the spheres are also a superposition of the individual fields. It is just that the field inside a spherically symmetric charge shell is zero.

The fields in the case of the spheres are also a superposition of the individual fields. It is just that the field inside a spherically symmetric charge shell is zero.
Apologies, but I might not have put the question across properly, it was in relation to this problem (part a).

I tried to solve by finding the field of the inner cylinder using flux, after which I was confused on whether or not i should be doing any "superposition" with the field by the inner surface of the outer cylinder. I then found out that that would've been a mistake, and the field was actually just due to the inner one.

E = Q/(2πrhε0)

Thank you for helping!

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.43.19 PM.png