1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on E Flux and Fields

1. Mar 18, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. The field for an infinite charged sheet is found to be σ/2ε0. If we place 2 infinite sheets of opposite charge above one another, we say that the field in between the sheets is σ/ε0 due to the superposition of individual fields.

Why can't we say the same for a situation where a conducting sphere is embedded in another, and there is charge Q on the outer surface on the inner sphere and -Q on the inner surface of the outer sphere? By same I mean applying superposition on fields by Q and -Q.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only reason i could think of was that it was impossible (to me) to find a Gaussian surface capable of enclosing the charge on the inner surface on the outer sphere, which was hardly a rigorous explanation.

Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The fields in the case of the spheres are also a superposition of the individual fields. It is just that the field inside a spherically symmetric charge shell is zero.

4. Mar 18, 2017 #3
    Apologies, but I might not have put the question across properly, it was in relation to this problem (part a).

I tried to solve by finding the field of the inner cylinder using flux, after which I was confused on whether or not i should be doing any "superposition" with the field by the inner surface of the outer cylinder. I then found out that that would've been a mistake, and the field was actually just due to the inner one.

E = Q/(2πrhε0)

Thank you for helping!

Screen Shot 2017-03-18 at 4.43.19 PM.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted