ELectric field inside a cavity

In summary: The charge on a conductor spreads out due to their mutual repulsion. If there is an electric field present, the charge would then normally change their position due to the field to again reach equilibrium.
Abhishekdas

Homework Statement

Suppose there is a cavity inside a metallic conductor...And say a chrge q is placed inside it...Now a charge -q is induced on the inner metal surface and a chrge q appears outside...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now i have two questions . Firstly i want to know about the charge distribution on the inner and outer sufaces of the metal...Whether it is uniform or not...
Secondly, i know that the field on the inner surface of the metal and along its volume is zero but what about the field inside the cavity(i am talking about the vacuum or air inside the cavity) is that zero too?

I would be really glad if anyone can answer these questions...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there are no charges inside the cavity there's no electric flux in a volume only enclosing the cavity and the electric field should be zero.

Flux being 0 means integral E.dS is zero and that makes it clear why field is zero on the inner surface...but i am asking about the space inside the cavity ...field isn't zero throughout the space right?
I mean if you take a point very close to the chrage q then there is going to be some field in that region isn't it?
And can we say anything about the charge distribution being uniform or not?

I am waiting for some more replies...please...

There will be a field inside the cavity due to the charge placed inside. The field lines begin (or end) at the charge and end (or begin) at the induced charges on the inside surface of the conductor.

There is no field inside the conductor. However, due to Gauss's law, there is an induced charge on the outer surface of the conductor.

Now, the induced charge on the inside surface is not necessarily uniform. It depends on where the charge is placed inside the cavity. However, the induced charge on the outer surface of the conductor is uniform as there is no "connection" to anything that is happening inside and thus they spread out like they would if you just placed the charge yourself on the conductor and there was no cavity at all.

Berko said:
There will be a field inside the cavity due to the charge placed inside. The field lines begin (or end) at the charge and end (or begin) at the induced charges on the inside surface of the conductor.

There is no field inside the conductor. However, due to Gauss's law, there is an induced charge on the outer surface of the conductor.

Now, the induced charge on the inside surface is not necessarily uniform. It depends on where the charge is placed inside the cavity. However, the induced charge on the outer surface of the conductor is uniform as there is no "connection" to anything that is happening inside and thus they spread out like they would if you just placed the charge yourself on the conductor and there was no cavity at all.

Hey Berko...thanks a lot...your explanations almost perfectly satisfies my queries...But one small thing...You say that the charge distribution on the outer surface is uniform and it has no connection with whatver is inside and i have read this thing in books but no where have they given a proper explanation of why it is independent of the charge inside...So can u give me some proper proof on that?

I cannot give you a proof as much as an intuitive argument. The charge on a conductor spreads out due to their mutual repulsion. If there is an electric field present, the charge would then normally change their position due to the field to again reach equilibrium.

But here, there is no electric field felt by the charge on the outer surface so it as if they "do not know" about anything happening inside. Thus, it is no different than just placing charge on a conductor...which spreads out due to mutual repulsion.

Hmmm...you are going by repulsions and i was trying it explain it by thinking that potential has to be same throughout so if there is accumulation of extra charge at some point it violates this and hence doesn't make sense...That is fine it we are talking about a solid conducting sphere with some charge placed on it...(ie with no complications inside)...
But what is this sheilding effect they say...The fact that the conductor sheilds the outer surface from the inner parts and its like as you say they don't know what's going on inside...Why does this happen? I was thinking that had there been an irregular distribution of charge in the inner surface of the cavity then by replulsion it should be irregular outside also...I mean if the inner surface of cavity has a high concentration of positve charge at some area...Then i thought that by induction the part outer surface close to this area should have a high concentration of negative charge...I am just saying this by some vague imagination...i don't know...

What induction? There is no electric field connecting them.

1. What is an electric field inside a cavity?

The electric field inside a cavity refers to the distribution of electric charges and forces within an enclosed space or cavity. This can be a physical cavity, such as a hollow sphere or cube, or a conceptual one, such as a region of space bounded by imaginary walls.

2. How is the electric field inside a cavity calculated?

The electric field inside a cavity can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the material. This law allows us to calculate the electric field inside a cavity based on the distribution of charges inside it.

3. Does the shape of the cavity affect the electric field inside?

Yes, the shape of the cavity does affect the electric field inside it. The electric field will be strongest at points where the surface of the cavity is most curved, and weaker at points where the surface is flatter. This is because the curvature of the surface affects the direction and strength of the electric field lines.

4. Can the electric field inside a cavity be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a cavity can be zero. This can occur in a perfectly symmetrical cavity with no charges inside it. In this case, the electric field lines from any charges outside the cavity will cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero inside the cavity.

5. How does the presence of charges inside a cavity affect the electric field?

The presence of charges inside a cavity affects the electric field by creating a non-zero electric field inside the cavity. The distribution of charges and their magnitudes will determine the strength and direction of the electric field inside the cavity. Additionally, the charges inside the cavity will also affect the electric field outside the cavity, as they contribute to the overall electric flux through the surface surrounding the cavity.