Electric field inside a solid conducting sphere carrying charge q.

In summary, the question asks about the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere with charge q and radius a. Using Gauss' Law, the electric field was found to be qr/(4pi*a3*εo), assuming that the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume of the sphere. However, a friend suggests that the electric field should be 0, which is only true for a hollow sphere with no charge inside. This suggests that the charge in the solid sphere is not uniformly distributed. Conductors allow charges to move freely, and like charges repel each other.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

A solid conducting sphere carrying charge q has radius a. What is the electric field when r<a.

Homework Equations

EA=Qenclosedo

The Attempt at a Solution

I found it using gauss law where Q=density*V. I ended up with qr/(4pi*a3o)HOWEVER, my friend told me it should be E=0 and we are unsure which one is the right answer. The method I used assumes that the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume of the sphere.

Also, I believe that E=0 only when you have a hollow sphere with no charge inside. In this question, it is a SOLID sphere.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
theBEAST said:

Homework Statement

A solid conducting sphere carrying charge q has radius a. What is the electric field when r<a.

Homework Equations

EA=Qenclosedo

The Attempt at a Solution

I found it using gauss law where Q=density*V. I ended up with qr/(4pi*a3o)

HOWEVER, my friend told me it should be E=0 and we are unsure which one is the right answer. The method I used assumes that the charge is uniformly distributed throughout the volume of the sphere.

Also, I believe that E=0 only when you have a hollow sphere with no charge inside. In this question, it is a SOLID sphere.
What do you know about conductors?

What do you know about like charges?

SammyS said:
What do you know about conductors?

What do you know about like charges?

thanks figured it out :)

1. How can the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere carrying charge q be calculated?

The electric field inside a solid conducting sphere can be calculated using the formula E = q/4πεr2, where q is the charge on the sphere, ε is the permittivity of the material, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. Is the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere uniform?

Yes, the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere is uniform. This means that the electric field has the same magnitude and direction at all points inside the sphere.

3. How does the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere vary with distance from the center?

The electric field inside a solid conducting sphere follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance from the center. This means that the electric field is strongest at the surface of the sphere and decreases as you move towards the center.

4. Can the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere be affected by the presence of other charges?

Yes, the electric field inside a solid conducting sphere can be affected by the presence of other charges. The electric field will be altered by the presence of external charges, but the field inside the sphere will remain uniform.

5. What is the significance of the charge on the solid conducting sphere in determining the electric field inside it?

The charge on the solid conducting sphere is the main factor in determining the strength of the electric field inside it. The greater the charge on the sphere, the stronger the electric field will be. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the charge.