Electric field inside concentric solenoids

In summary, Dr. X has an infinitely long superconducting solenoid with n turns per unit length and a power supply that can drive arbitrary current wave forms through the solenoid's winding. Dr. Y wants to create an electric field on two circumferences with radii a and b using this setup, but Dr. X claims it is not possible. Dr. Y is unsure if it is possible, but notes that if it were, the field would be time varying due to the multiple programmable options on the power supply and would travel at the speed of light. Without a figure, it is difficult to determine if this configuration is possible.
mikeyBoy83

Homework Statement

Dr. X has an infinitely long superconducting solenoid with n turns per unit length and a power supply to drive arbitrary current wave forms through the solenoid's winding. The power supply can drive DC currents, temporarily ramped currents, sine wave currents, etc...; whatever Dr. X programs it to do. Dr. Y wants to accelerate some electrons on the circumference with radii a and b as shown in the figure. Dr. X says that Dr. Y is nuts; you cannot create an electric field with the superconducting solenoid and the power supply.

Can Dr. Y produce an electric field on the two circumferences? If Dr. Y cannot produce an electric field, prove it. If Dr. Y can produce an electric field explain how and calculate the electric field on the circumferences with radii a and b shown in the figure.

Homework Equations

/information[/B]
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B818Uj3Z5tjAQUtJTjA4V1R5RXVkaWN0VFFfMldFTF95OWZZ (Sorry, I guess my image won't load)
If such a field were possible both would be time varying due to the multiple programmable options on the power supply and so the electromagnetic 'news' would travel at the speed of light.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the electric field without problem. What I am unsure of is whether or not it is even possible with this configuration.

Physics news on Phys.org
mikeyBoy83 said:
What I am unsure of is whether or not it is even possible with this configuration.
Without a figure we cannot figure out what "this configuration" is.

Your URL seems to resolve to a google drive location, and may not be public accessible. A better option is to UPLOAD the image (use the UPLOAD button at the bottom right of the edit panel), or perhaps a screen capture cut&paste.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds charged particles and exerts a force on other charged particles within its range.

What is a concentric solenoid?

A concentric solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire with a uniform winding density and a uniform diameter, whose axis is aligned with the axis of the cylinder.

How is the electric field inside a concentric solenoid calculated?

The electric field inside a concentric solenoid can be calculated using the formula E = μ₀NlI/R, where μ₀ is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns per unit length, l is the length of the solenoid, I is the current flowing through the solenoid, and R is the radius of the solenoid.

Why is the electric field inside a concentric solenoid nearly constant?

The electric field inside a concentric solenoid is nearly constant because the magnetic field created by the solenoid's current is uniform and parallel to the axis of the solenoid. This results in a nearly constant force on charged particles within the solenoid.

Can the direction of the electric field inside a concentric solenoid be reversed?

Yes, the direction of the electric field inside a concentric solenoid can be reversed by changing the direction of the current flowing through the solenoid.