1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of a Conducting Sphere

1. Sep 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a distance of 0.206cm from the center of a charged conducting sphere with radius 0.100cm, the electric field is 485N/C . What is the electric field 0.612cm from the center of the sphere?

2. Relevant equations

E(r)=1/4∏ε_0 * qr/R^3
    where r is radius of the Gaussian surface and R is the radius of the sphere

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried this two different ways, and they were both the same answer (and both wrong). Firstly, I used the given E-field (485N/C) and plugged it in to the above equation and solved for q. Once I solved for q, I used that q with a new distance from the center of the sphere to solve for the new E Field at that position. When I did that, I got that the electric field should equal 1440.874 N/C. I plugged this in to my online homework site, and it said I was wrong.

Since that way seemed to be wrong, I tried to just set it up as a ratio. I said that:

(485N/C)/0.00206m = (x N/C)/.00612m

Solving for x, which represents the E Field, I again got 1440.874 N/C.

Any ideas where I might have gone wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2
    Does this formula apply to the field outside the sphere?

How? Using the formula above?

Is electric field inversely proportional to distance?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted