1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field of a Finite Cylinder

1. Feb 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Derive expressions for electric field produced along the axis of radial symmetry for an H km thick cylindrical slab of radius R with charge distributed around the volume. Then, give the electric field on the vertical axis for four of these cylindrical slabs.

2. Relevant equations
    Obviously start with Coloumb's Law (q/4*pi*ε0*r2). Must integrate from there.

3. The attempt at a solution
    As this isn't for an infinite cylinder, we can't use a Gaussian surface. Knowing that q = ρV where rho is the charge density and V = ∏R2, I've come up with:

ρ/4ε0 ∫∫∫ R2h2/r2

However, I'm not sure how to integrate through the heights of the cylinder in the case if the charge is not found on the axis. I know this is a vague attempt at the answer up to this point, but I'm honestly just not sure how to do the height part of the integration. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2014 #2
    I have found the E-field for a disk of charge, that being (2∏ρ/ε0)(1-[r/√r2+R2])

However there is no height dependence here. Is it has simple as integrating over some dh term from h1 to h2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted