1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a line of charge

1. Feb 7, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure below shows a finite line charge with linear charge density of λ and total length L. The point P shown is a distance s away from its end.

Please calculate a formula for the electric field at point P, in terms of λ, L and s.

Then use the following values to find it numerically.
    λ = +3 μC/m, L = 5 m, s = 4 m

2. Relevant equations

Electric field to point P in the x direction is going to be dE*cosΘ y direction is going to be -dE*sinΘ

the equation for is E=∫(k*λdy/r^2) , where λ=Q/L, r=(s^2+L^2)^(1/2)
    limit of integral is from 0 to 5

3. The attempt at a solution

i did get the answer for +x direction, but i couldnt get the answer for -y direction

for the x-dir, my eq start from ∫(Kλdy/r^2)cosθ. where cos=s/r

so it become ∫(kλdy/r^2)(s/r) since, k,λ,s, is a constant, the integration become

kλs∫dy/(s^2+y^2)^(3/2) using table of integration for ∫dy/(s^2+L^2)^(3/2), then
    kλs(1/s^2)(y/(y^2+s^2)^(1/2)) s on the numerator and denominator cancels each other
    (kλ/s)(5/(5^2+4^2)^(1/2))
    ((9*E9)(3*E-6)(5)/4)*(5/(5^2+4^2)^(1/2))=5270.8644

for the y-dir, its negative.
    limit of integration is 0 to 5 of L value
    my eq start from ∫(Kλdy/r^2)sinθ. where sin=L/r

so it become -∫(kλdy/r^2)(L/r) since, k,λ,L, is a constant, the integration become
    -kλL∫dy/(s^2+y^2)^(3/2) using table of integration for ∫dy/(s^2+L^2)^(3/2), then
    -kλL(1/s^2)(y/(y^2+s^2)^(1/2)
    -(kλL)(5/(5^2+4^2)^(1/2))
    -((9*e9)(3*E-6)(5)/(4^2))*(5/(5^2+4^2)^(1/2))= -6588.58058

but for the y-dir value is wrong. can someone help me?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it ok if I can't make out head or tails from your story ? And the sheet from your notebook also is somewhat difficult to follow. So I propose we pick up what is understandable and take it from there.

I agree with ##E_x=\int_0^L \frac{ k \lambda}{r^2} \cos\theta\ dy ## but not with ##r^2=s^2+L^2##. Also not with considering ##\cos\theta = s/r## as a constant.
    For the distance you have ##r^2=y^2+s^2## and ##\cos\theta = s/r(y)##.

In your notes
    • the ##1/r^2## is missing in the first line
    • the integral sign is missing in the second line
    • the third line and onwards look ok provided one reads y instead of L in the proper places

You should not be needing a table of integration to do the integral, but ok. I get 5270 too. Can't decipher the units. Should be N/C.

---------------------------------------

On with the y component. I vaguely distinguish a minus sign. This time you need a sine and you grab L/r. Nice try, but that's only at the end when y = L .
    again, ##r^2=y^2+s^2## and now ##\sin\theta = y/r(y)##.

This enough to get you going again ?

4. Feb 8, 2014 #3
    I already turned it my assignment, i didnt get that one correct, but thank you though.
    :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted