1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a non-uniformly charged ring

1. Feb 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the magnitude and direction of the electric field due to the ring in the point P on the z-axis.
    06b46043ae.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Charge distribution on the ring is given by [itex]λ(φ)=λ_0\cdot sin(φ)[/itex]. This should result in the total charge on the ring being zero.
    Electric field is given by [itex]E=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\int_{Path}\frac{\lambda\left(r\right)}{r^{2}}\hat{r}dl[/itex]
    The distance [itex]r[/itex] from any point on the ring to the point P: [itex]r=\sqrt{z_0^2+R^2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Due to symmetry and the non-uniformity of the charge distribution we can say that the electric field in the z-direction is 0 ([itex]E_z=0[/itex]) but there will be an x-component as seen in the drawing I made.
    64baaffdd6.jpg
    So now to select the x-component we say [itex]dE=\frac{dE_{x}}{\sin\left(\theta\right)}[/itex] so [itex]dE_x=dE\cdot\sin\left(\theta\right)[/itex].
    [tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}

dE_{x} & = & dE\cdot\sin\left(\theta\right)\\

& = & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\sin\left(\theta\right)dq\\

& = & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\sin\left(\theta\right)\lambda dl\\

& = & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\sin\left(\theta\right)\lambda_{0}\sin\left(\varphi\right)dl\\

& = & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\sin\left(\theta\right)\lambda_{0}\sin\left(\varphi\right)Rd\varphi\\

& = & \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\frac{R}{r}\lambda_{0}\sin\left(\varphi\right)Rd\varphi\\

& = & \frac{\lambda_{0}R^{2}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{3}}\sin\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi\\

& = & \frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^2}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\sin\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi

\end{eqnarray*}
    [/tex]

Then you should integrate to get the final answer [tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}

E_{x} & = & \frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^{2}}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi\\

& = & 0

\end{eqnarray*}
    [/tex]

But as you can see that results in 0 so I'm not really sure where the mistake is but I think it's either in selecting the x-component or I'm doing the integration wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2016 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What makes you think the field will be nonzero in the x direction? Have you looked at the symmetry for that? Any other directions to consider?

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3
    Because of the charge distribution there will be a negatively charged lower ring ([itex]φ=π[/itex] to [itex]φ=2π[/itex]) and a positively charged upper ring ([itex]φ=0[/itex] to [itex]φ=π[/itex]). The negative semi-ring will have a negative z-component; a positive x-component and a negative y-component (?) and the positive semi-ring will have a positive z-component; a positive x-component and a negative y-component on the z-axis thus the z-components cancel out and we're left with the x and y components?
    Or because of the fact [itex]λ=λ_0\cdot \sin(φ)[/itex] which is 0 at both [itex]φ=0[/itex] and [itex]φ=π[/itex] there can be no component in the x-direction and we're only left with the y-component?

5. Feb 6, 2016 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Let S' be the reflection of S in the XZ plane, so in terms of the diagram its angle is -φ. What is the direction of the net field at P due to the elements at S and S'?

6. Feb 6, 2016 #5
    Okay so an element at [itex]S[/itex] produces an electric field in point P like [itex]E=-E_x \hat{x}-E_y \hat{y}+E_z \hat{z} [/itex] and an element at [itex]S'[/itex] produces [itex]E=+E_x \hat{x}-E_y \hat{y}-E_z \hat{z} [/itex] thus adding both of those we have a total electric field of [itex]E=-2E_y \hat{y} [/itex]?

7. Feb 6, 2016 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

8. Feb 7, 2016 #7
    Now when I try to calculate the electric field in the y-direction I get [itex]E_{y} = \frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^{2}}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\int_{0}^{\pi}\sin\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi[/itex] (following the same procedure as I did in the first post) my question would be what to pick for the integration limits. If I chose [itex]φ=[0,π][/itex] then the integral gives me [itex]2[/itex] but if I pick [itex]φ=[π,2π][/itex] then I get [itex]-2[/itex]. But I'm guessing since the field has to be in the negative y-direction at the end we have to pick [itex]φ=[0,π][/itex] as our limits such that when we multiply by the -2 we got from symmetry arguments the final answer is negative?

9. Feb 7, 2016 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your integral is wrong.
    I had not previously studied the integral you did for the x component in the initial post. Your expression for Ex there is not correct. Esin(θ) gives you the component of E in tne XY plane, but for the component in specifically the X or Y direction there must be some dependence on φ.

10. Feb 7, 2016 #9
    So it should be [itex]dE_y=\sin(φ)\cos(θ)dE \hat{y}[/itex] then? Because that would be the y-component of a vector in spherical coordinates.

11. Feb 7, 2016 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure I understand your notation there, but yes, the component factor you need is cos(θ)sin(φ).

12. Feb 7, 2016 #11
    Oh what I tried to say was that an element of the electric field in the y direction was equal to the y-component of the electric field vector.

Sorry if I'm a bit slow to understand but the resulting electric field would be [itex]dE_y=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\cos\left(\theta\right)\cdot \lambda_{0}\sin^2\left(\varphi\right)\cdot Rd\varphi[/itex] which then leads to [itex]E_y=\frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{z_{0}R}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin^{2}\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi[/itex] and [itex]E=-2\cdot E_y[/itex] as per symmetry arguments.
    But then another question arises from this, if [itex]z_0\gg R[/itex] this configuration should reduce to a dipole which has an electric field that is proportional to [itex]z_0^{-3}[/itex] in this case but the electric field I found is proportional with [itex]z_0^{-2}[/itex] for [itex]z_0\gg R[/itex].

13. Feb 7, 2016 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, I copied your error without noticing. Originally you wrote sin(θ), which was correct, not cos.

14. Feb 7, 2016 #13
    Okay so then it becomes [itex]dE_y=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{1}{r^{2}}\sin\left(\theta\right)\lambda_{0}\sin^{2}\left(\varphi\right)Rd\varphi[/itex] which then results in [tex]
    \begin{eqnarray*}

E_{y} & = & \frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^{2}}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sin^{2}\left(\varphi\right)d\varphi\\

& = & \frac{\lambda_{0}}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^{2}}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\cdot\pi\\

E & = & -2\cdot E_{y}\hat{y}\\

& = & -\frac{\lambda_{0}}{2\epsilon_{0}}\cdot\frac{R^{2}}{\left(z_{0}^{2}+R^{2}\right)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\hat{y}

\end{eqnarray*}

[/tex]

This does properly reduce to a [itex]z_0^{-3}[/itex] proportionality for large [itex]z_0[/itex] so I'm guessing this is correct?

15. Feb 7, 2016 #14

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, I think it's right.

16. Feb 7, 2016 #15
    Thank you so much for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted