1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of a ring and beads

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a plastic ring of radius R = 50.4 cm. Two small charged beads are on the ring: Bead 1 of charge +2.00 μC is fixed in place at the left side; bead 2 of charge +6.00 μC can be moved along the ring. The two beads produce a net electric field of magnitude E at the center of the ring. At what (a) positive and (b) negative value of angle θ should bead 2 be positioned such that E = 2.22 × 105 N/C?

2. Relevant equations
    Enety by -q2sinθ/4πε0R^2
    Enetx by q1/4πε0R^2 - q2cosθ/4πε0R^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    so i found enet of y and x by equations above then did E^2=(q1^2+q1^2-2q1q2cosθ/(4πε0R^2)^2

which simples to

θ=inverse cos [(q1^2+q1^2- (4πε0R^2)^2E^2)/(2q1q2)]

basically when i take the cos its a neg number and you can't take cos of neg number so i am confused what i am doing wrong bc my professor said method was correct

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can take the cosine of a negative number (e.g., cos(-30o) = .5) and you can also take the inverse cosine of a negative answer (e.g., inv cos (-.5) = 120o).

But, anyway, if I substitute the numbers into your expression for θ, I find that you should be taking the inverse cosine of a positive number and you get a positive angle for θ.

Overall, your work looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook