1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field of an electric dipole

1. May 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Since the electrostatic field is conservative, show that it is irrotational for an electric dipole, whose dipole momentum is [tex] p [/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0 [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the components of the electric field in spherical coordinates are:

[tex] E_r = \frac{2 p \cos \theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]

[tex]E_\theta = \frac{p \sin \theta}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3} [/tex]

[tex] E_\phi = 0 [/tex]

so applying the curl is just a matter of calculus, and it's easy to show that
    [tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = 0 [/tex].

Otherwise, using cartesian coordinates, if I choose the z-axis oriented as the dipole and set the origin in the dipole's center, the components of the electric field are:

[tex] E_x = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3 x z}{r^5} [/tex]

[tex] E_y = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{3 y z}{r^5} [/tex]

[tex] E_z = \frac{p}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \left( \frac{3z^2}{r^5} - \frac{1}{r^3} \right) [/tex]

and the curl is different from 0, as one can easily prove, in contradiction with the previous result!

So, my question is:

Did I mistake or miss something? I really can't see what's wrong with this problem, at this time.. :uhh:

Thank you. :smile:

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2007 #2
    Here is a quick computation I made with Mathematica regarding this problem.

As you can clearly see, in one case the curl is 0, in the second one is different from 0.

Attached Files:

4. May 18, 2007 #3
    I finally realized Mathematica didn't do all the simplifications! :rofl:

By using Simplify command it comes up that curl(E)=(0,0,0) even in cartesian coordinates, as it should be.

Thank you, anyway!

Last edited: May 18, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?