Electric field of periodic charge density.

In summary, the problem involves finding the electrostatic field and potential created by a two-dimensional charge distribution at a distance d from the plane z=0. The use of Fourier analysis is required in the calculations, specifically in determining the coefficients for oscillating functions in Poisson's equation for the potential. The z-component of the potential can be solved using the symmetry of the problem and Fourier transform.
JoshThompson42

Homework Statement

Find electrostatic field and potential created by a two-dimensional charge density:
[tex] \rho \sin (kx) \cos (ky) \delta (z) [/tex]
at the distance d from the the plane z=0 where the charge is placed (taking into account that it is embedded in a three dimensional space).
In your calculations you are required to use Fourier analysis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My initial thought was to use the differential form of Gauss's law:
[tex]\nabla \cdot E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

However I am unsure of where Fourier analysis comes into play, any pointers as to where to go from here would be great. My instinct tells me that the delta function should be what gets the Fourier treatment, however it isn't periodic.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the potential for a point-charge? To extend this to 2-dimensional charge distributions, you'll need an integral. And I guess the evaluation of this integral will need Fourier analysis.

mfb said:
What is the potential for a point-charge? To extend this to 2-dimensional charge distributions, you'll need an integral. And I guess the evaluation of this integral will need Fourier analysis.
To make Fourier analysis more obvious, I would start from Poisson's equation for the potential: given the charge distribution, you have to guess oscillating functions for the x and y components which leads to Fourier analysis to determine the coefficients. The z-component is less obvious though, and you'd have to use the ±z symmetry of the problem... Incidentally, the full solution for arbitrary z comes rather easily using Fourier transform.

1. What is a periodic charge density?

Periodic charge density refers to the distribution of electric charge in a repeating pattern. This can occur in materials or systems where there is a regular arrangement of charges, such as in crystals or in periodic structures.

2. How is the electric field of periodic charge density calculated?

The electric field of periodic charge density can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a given point is equal to the sum of the electric forces exerted by each individual charge at that point. This calculation can become more complex when dealing with periodic charge density, as there may be multiple charges with varying distances and orientations.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a periodic charge density?

The strength of the electric field in a periodic charge density can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and distribution of the charges, the distance between the charges, and the dielectric constant of the material in which the charges are located.

4. How does the electric field change with distance from a periodic charge density?

The electric field strength decreases with distance from a periodic charge density, following an inverse square law. This means that the farther away from the charges, the weaker the electric field will be. However, for periodic charge densities, this relationship may become more complex due to the repeating nature of the charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of periodic charge density?

The electric field of periodic charge density has many practical applications in various fields of science and technology. Some examples include the study of crystal structures in materials science, the design of electronic devices, and the understanding of electromagnetic waves and radiation in physics.