Electric field on a piece of wire

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
vladimir69
Messages
124
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A thin piece of wire, with charge per unit length [itex]\lambda[/itex] lies on the x-axis and extends from x=-L/2 to x=+L/2 so that it has a length L. Show that the electric field (at the point (x,y) = (0,D)) in the +y-direction has magnitude given by [tex]2\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\sin(\theta_{0})[/tex].
The file attached below is to show where theta is pulled from.

Homework Equations



[tex]d\mathbf{E}=k_{e}\frac{dq}{r^2}\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Here is what I managed to boil up
First let
[tex]\theta+\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
then
[tex]r=\frac{D}{\sin(\phi)}[/tex]
[tex]dq=\lambda dx = -\lambda D d\phi[/tex]
[tex]\hat{r}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos(\phi)\\\sin(\phi)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\int dE_{y}=-\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\int_{\phi_{0}+\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\theta_{0}-\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^3(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
Finally
[tex]E_{y}=\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}(2\sin(\theta_{0})-\frac{2}{3}\sin^3(\theta_{0}))[/tex]
Did I do something wrong or did they assume that the sin cubed term is small and hence got rid of it?

Thanks,
 
Attachments
  • pf.png
    pf.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 540
Physics news on Phys.org
As [tex]sin(\theta_{0})[/tex] is less than 1, [tex]sin^3(\theta_{0})[/tex] is a lot smaller than [tex]sin(\theta_{0})[/tex] so can basically be ignored I believe. So yes you were right.
 
I think using [tex]\theta[/tex] will avoid some mistakes that using [tex]\phi[/tex] may make.

vladimir69 said:

[tex]dq=\lambda dx = -\lambda D d\phi[/tex]


It's wrong.
You may find it simple if using this: [tex]x=Dtan\theta[/tex] :wink:
 
Ahh damn, that was careless.

I used [itex]\phi[/itex] because it helps with getting the right direction for the unit vector, but screwed up the differential unfortunately. (actually I did a similar error the second time aswell)

Thanks for the help.