1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field on a piece of wire

1. Jul 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin piece of wire, with charge per unit length [itex]\lambda[/itex] lies on the x-axis and extends from x=-L/2 to x=+L/2 so that it has a length L. Show that the electric field (at the point (x,y) = (0,D)) in the +y-direction has magnitude given by [tex]2\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\sin(\theta_{0})[/tex].
    The file attached below is to show where theta is pulled from.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]d\mathbf{E}=k_{e}\frac{dq}{r^2}\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here is what I managed to boil up
    First let
    [tex]\theta+\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
    then
    [tex]r=\frac{D}{\sin(\phi)}[/tex]
    [tex]dq=\lambda dx = -\lambda D d\phi[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{r}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos(\phi)\\\sin(\phi)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]\int dE_{y}=-\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\int_{\phi_{0}+\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\theta_{0}-\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^3(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
    Finally
    [tex]E_{y}=\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}(2\sin(\theta_{0})-\frac{2}{3}\sin^3(\theta_{0}))[/tex]
    Did I do something wrong or did they assume that the sin cubed term is small and hence got rid of it?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

• pf.png
      pf.png
      File size:
      5.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2010 #2
    As [tex] sin(\theta_{0}) [/tex] is less than 1, [tex] sin^3(\theta_{0}) [/tex] is alot smaller than [tex] sin(\theta_{0}) [/tex] so can basically be ignored I believe. So yes you were right.

4. Jul 18, 2010 #3
    I think using [tex]\theta[/tex] will avoid some mistakes that using [tex]\phi[/tex] may make.

It's wrong.
    You may find it simple if using this: [tex]x=Dtan\theta[/tex] :wink:

5. Jul 19, 2010 #4
    Ahh damn, that was careless.

I used [itex]\phi[/itex] because it helps with getting the right direction for the unit vector, but screwed up the differential unfortunately. (actually I did a similar error the second time aswell)

Thanks for the help.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook