Electric field on a piece of wire

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the electric field in the +y-direction at the point (0,D) caused by a thin wire with charge per unit length. The solution involves using trigonometric functions and integrating to find the final equation for the electric field. The mistake of using the wrong angle is pointed out and a suggestion is made to use a different angle for better accuracy.
vladimir69

Homework Statement

A thin piece of wire, with charge per unit length [itex]\lambda[/itex] lies on the x-axis and extends from x=-L/2 to x=+L/2 so that it has a length L. Show that the electric field (at the point (x,y) = (0,D)) in the +y-direction has magnitude given by [tex]2\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\sin(\theta_{0})[/tex].
The file attached below is to show where theta is pulled from.

Homework Equations

[tex]d\mathbf{E}=k_{e}\frac{dq}{r^2}\mathbf{\hat{r}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I managed to boil up
First let
[tex]\theta+\phi=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
then
[tex]r=\frac{D}{\sin(\phi)}[/tex]
[tex]dq=\lambda dx = -\lambda D d\phi[/tex]
[tex]\hat{r}=\left(\begin{array}{cc}\cos(\phi)\\\sin(\phi)\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\int dE_{y}=-\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}\int_{\phi_{0}+\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\theta_{0}-\frac{\pi}{2}}\sin^3(\theta)d\theta[/tex]
Finally
[tex]E_{y}=\frac{\lambda k_{e}}{D}(2\sin(\theta_{0})-\frac{2}{3}\sin^3(\theta_{0}))[/tex]
Did I do something wrong or did they assume that the sin cubed term is small and hence got rid of it?

Thanks,

Attachments

• pf.png
    pf.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
As [tex] sin(\theta_{0}) [/tex] is less than 1, [tex] sin^3(\theta_{0}) [/tex] is a lot smaller than [tex] sin(\theta_{0}) [/tex] so can basically be ignored I believe. So yes you were right.

I think using [tex]\theta[/tex] will avoid some mistakes that using [tex]\phi[/tex] may make.

vladimir69 said:

[tex]dq=\lambda dx = -\lambda D d\phi[/tex]

It's wrong.
You may find it simple if using this: [tex]x=Dtan\theta[/tex] :wink:

Ahh damn, that was careless.

I used [itex]\phi[/itex] because it helps with getting the right direction for the unit vector, but screwed up the differential unfortunately. (actually I did a similar error the second time aswell)

Thanks for the help.

I would like to commend you on your attempt at a solution. However, I do see a few errors in your calculations. First, the limits of integration should be from 0 to L, as the wire extends from x=-L/2 to x=+L/2. Also, the expression for dq should be \lambda dx, not -\lambda D d\phi. Additionally, the unit vector \hat{r} should be in terms of x and y, not \phi.

Regarding your question about the sin cubed term, it is possible that the authors of the problem assumed that \theta_{0} is small, which would make the sin cubed term negligible. However, without more context or information, I cannot say for sure. It would be best to double check your calculations and try to resolve any discrepancies before making any assumptions about the given solution.

1. What is an electric field on a piece of wire?

An electric field on a piece of wire is a force field created by the presence of electric charges on the wire. The strength and direction of the field is determined by the amount and distribution of these charges.

2. How is the electric field on a piece of wire calculated?

The electric field on a piece of wire can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the wire and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

3. What factors can affect the strength of the electric field on a piece of wire?

The strength of the electric field on a piece of wire can be affected by the amount and distribution of charges on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the surrounding environment (such as the presence of other conductors or insulators).

4. Can the electric field on a piece of wire be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field on a piece of wire can be manipulated by changing the amount and distribution of charges on the wire, or by changing the distance from the wire. This can be done using devices such as capacitors or by applying a potential difference across the wire.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field on a piece of wire?

The electric field on a piece of wire has many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, power transmission, and electrostatic shielding. It is also used in technologies like antennas, particle accelerators, and medical devices like MRI machines.