1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field outside a long cylindrical shell

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long cylindrical shell of radius R = 12.3 cm carries a uniform surface charge 4.60E-6 C/m2. Using Gauss's law find the electrical field at a point p2 = 16.5 from the center of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

EA=q/epsilon0

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I thought would work but does not produce the answer. The area is arbitrary I believe so I just used a 1m strip of the cylinder, A=2*0.123m*1m=0.246,**2. Q is found by multiplying the area of the cylinder by the charge density, Q=2*pi*r*1*(density)=3.555*10**-6 C. Solve for E, E=Q/(A*epsilon0) =0.163*10**6 N/C which is not correct. Any help would be great, especially if its before 11pm EST tonight.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MeMoses! :smile:

Difficult to tell without seeing your intermediate steps …

but did you use r = 16.5 ?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    i dont believe r=16.5 is needed, we just need to know that it is outside the cylinder, since it is an infintely long cylinder the feild should not be dramatically affected by distance. I think i just calculated area wrong

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that works for an infinite flat plate, since the field lines can't get any further apart as they go away …

but they do get further apart from a cylinder, don't they? :wink:

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    Yup compare the lines for a plane, cylinder/wire and sphere to see how their spacing varies with distance from the object.

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    Ok that makes sense now. I feel like an idiot for think that. However, just to clarify, would the equation I need simplify as such, E*A=Q/epsilon -> E(2*pi*r*h)=Q/epsilon, and Q=(2*pi*r*h)*charge density? and would every r here be the distance from the center, not the radius of the cylinder as I previously thought?

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7
    Ok i got, thanks for the help

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8
    Good job!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook