Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field outside a long cylindrical shell

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A long cylindrical shell of radius R = 12.3 cm carries a uniform surface charge 4.60E-6 C/m2. Using Gauss's law find the electrical field at a point p2 = 16.5 from the center of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

EA=q/epsilon0

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I thought would work but does not produce the answer. The area is arbitrary I believe so I just used a 1m strip of the cylinder, A=2*0.123m*1m=0.246,**2. Q is found by multiplying the area of the cylinder by the charge density, Q=2*pi*r*1*(density)=3.555*10**-6 C. Solve for E, E=Q/(A*epsilon0) =0.163*10**6 N/C which is not correct. Any help would be great, especially if its before 11pm EST tonight.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi MeMoses! :smile:

Difficult to tell without seeing your intermediate steps …

but did you use r = 16.5 ?

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    i dont believe r=16.5 is needed, we just need to know that it is outside the cylinder, since it is an infintely long cylinder the feild should not be dramatically affected by distance. I think i just calculated area wrong

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

that works for an infinite flat plate, since the field lines can't get any further apart as they go away …

but they do get further apart from a cylinder, don't they? :wink:

6. Jan 26, 2012 #5
    Yup compare the lines for a plane, cylinder/wire and sphere to see how their spacing varies with distance from the object.

7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    Ok that makes sense now. I feel like an idiot for think that. However, just to clarify, would the equation I need simplify as such, E*A=Q/epsilon -> E(2*pi*r*h)=Q/epsilon, and Q=(2*pi*r*h)*charge density? and would every r here be the distance from the center, not the radius of the cylinder as I previously thought?

8. Jan 26, 2012 #7
    Ok i got, thanks for the help

9. Jan 26, 2012 #8
    Good job!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook