Electric Field Question (Between two plates)

In summary, the conversation discusses the deflection of a ping-pong ball between two parallel plates under the influence of an electric field. Different approaches to finding the magnitude of the electric force deflecting the ball are discussed, but it is suggested that disregarding the electric nature of the force and instead considering the vector sum of all accelerations acting on the ball may lead to the correct solution. It is emphasized that blindly combining formulas without understanding their meaning is not a valid approach in physics.
Brendanphys

Homework Statement

A ping-pong ball, of mas3E-4kg is hanging from a light thread 1.0m long, between two vertical parallel plates 10cm (0.1m) apart. When the potential difference across the plates is 420 V, the ball comes to equilibrium 1cm (0.01m) to one side of it's original position.

What is the mag. of elecric force deflecting the ball?

kq/r^2 = E
V/d = E

The Attempt at a Solution

First I found the angle of the string through trig: asin(0.01/1) = 89

After that I equated the x component of tension to equate to gravity

sin@T = mg
T = mg/sin@

Then I solved for the y component

cos@T = Fy
cos@ (mg/sin@) = Fy

I figured that this force would be the electric force, as Fnet = 0. This gave me the wrong answer

2. In my second attempt I solved for the charge of the ball

Kq/r^2 = E
Kq/r^2 = V/r
q = Vr/K

Then I plugged this value into F = qE, only to once again get a wrong answer.

Im really unsure of what I'm doing wrong and a little help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the best approach here would be to completely disregard the electrical nature of the force deflecting the ball (In doing so, I only show my own ignorance of the subject, if my approach is flawed, further helpers are welcome to point out my mistakes as well).

Remember, an object will always align itself, if possible, at a position of minimal energy. An object in a gravity field g*, will align itself at the lowest possible plane perpendicular to that gravity field.

Just like a weight on a string would have the string pointing down on the earth, this ping pong ball is pointing 'down' under the effect of a different gravity.

g* is the vector sum of all the accelerations the ping pong ball is subject to. Try making a diagram of these accelerations, and finding their relationship with the angle of deflection, if you manage to get this far, calculating the electrical force will be trivial.

Final answer to compare with your own:
FE ≈ 2.942*10-5 N

Last edited:
Brendanphys said:
After that I equated the x component of tension to equate to gravity
Why the x component? Does gravity act in the x direction?

Brendanphys said:
2. In my second attempt I solved for the charge of the ball

Kq/r^2 = E
Kq/r^2 = V/r
q = Vr/K
[itex]E = Kq/r^2[/itex] is the formula for the electric field produced by a single charged particle. So in this case, that would be the electric field produced by the ball. That has nothing to do with the electric field that makes the ball shift to one side (which is [itex]V/r[/itex]). It's certainly not valid to claim that the two are equal.

You can't do physics by just combining formulas whenever you see the same letter - you need to actually think about what those letters represent and make sure that, say, when you set two things equal to each other, they are actually supposed to be equal. :wink:

1. What is an electric field between two plates?

The electric field between two plates is a region in which a charged particle will experience a force due to the presence of the electric charges on the two plates.

2. How is the electric field between two plates calculated?

The electric field between two plates is calculated by dividing the voltage difference between the two plates by the distance between them. It can also be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two plates?

The direction of the electric field between two plates is from the positive plate to the negative plate. This is because the positive plate has excess positive charges, while the negative plate has excess negative charges.

4. How does the distance between the plates affect the electric field?

The electric field between two plates is directly proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. This relationship is described by the inverse square law, where the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the plates.

5. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two plates?

The strength of the electric field between two plates is affected by the voltage difference between the plates, the distance between the plates, and the properties of the material between the plates. The greater the voltage difference and the smaller the distance between the plates, the stronger the electric field will be. The type of material between the plates also plays a role, as different materials have different permittivity, which affects the strength of the electric field.