1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field strength in a square.

1. Jun 4, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

Suppose I have a point O in the centre of the square (of side length X), where the top 2 corners of the square carries a positive charge each and the bottom left corner a negative charge and the bottom right corner a positive charge, what would the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field strength at point O be? I figured that it would be towards M, but how do I find it's magnitude?

The given answer is q/(pi)(Enot)(x^2). I don't realy understand why is the 4 missing?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First find the electric field due to each point charge, and then find the vector sum.
    One more thing, you do mean electric field, don't you? Why would there be a magnetic field?

4. Jun 4, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help. I apologise I did mean electric field was thinking of some other question at the same time! :wink:

5. Jun 4, 2006 #4
    Hi Siddarth

Wodner if you could help me out further here.. after some doing I realised I couldn't get rid of the 4, but it would instead be 2.

Here's my working, the electric field strength due to the top left and bottom right corner would be 0 as they cancel out (am I correct?). But the field strength due to the top right and bottom left corner would be 2q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)?

Thanks

6. Jun 4, 2006 #5

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, if the charges are the same.

Not quite, what's the distance of the center of the square O from each vertex? (It isn't x)

Also, I don't get the given answer. Are you sure the charges are equal?

7. Jun 4, 2006 #6
    Thanks Siddarth for the assistance.. I think I got the answer..

Yes the question states that 4 equal charges except for the bottom left is a negatively charged one compared to the rest of the positively charged ones.

Here's my complete working, I'll name the sides J, K L and M for ident purposes starting from the top left corner in a clockwise direction. So M is the point that carries the -ve charge. E field due J and L cancels each other. The (distance)^2 between K and O I calculated to be (x^2)/2 which is also the (distance)^2 between O and M. So by vector addition, E field due K and M should be in the same direction I got [q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)/2] + [q/4(pi)(Enot)(x^2)/2] which gives the answer to be q/(pi)(Enot0)(x^2) after cancelling out the numbers.

Thanks once again.

8. Jun 4, 2006 #7

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, that's right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?