Electric Field (velocity of a particle)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 31K views
suspenc3
Messages
400
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


At some instant in the velocity components of an electron moving between two charged parallel plates are [tex]v_x=1.5x10^5m/s[/tex] and [tex]v_y=3.0x10^3m/s[/tex]. Suppose that the electric field between the plates is given by [tex]\vec{E}=(120N/C)j[/tex].

a)what is the acceleration of the electron?

b)what will be the velocity of the electron after its x coordinate has changed by 2.0cm?

Homework Equations


[tex]F=ma[/tex]
[tex]\frac{F}{m}=a_y[/tex]
[tex]a_y= \frac{q\vec{E}}{m}[/tex]?

The Attempt at a Solution


Do I just have to sub in the values for part a?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. I think you have everything you need. Now get started!
 
so [tex]a_y = \frac{(1.6x10^{-19}C)((120N/C)j)}{9.1x10^{-31}Kg}[/tex]
[tex]a_y=(2.108x10^13m/s^2)j[/tex]?
 
Careful. What sign is the charge on an electron?
 
righht, negative, so does that mean that it is accelerating downwards?
 
suspenc3 said:
righht, negative, so does that mean that it is accelerating downwards?

Don't you believe your equations?
 
I suppose...is there a horizontal component of the acceleration?
 
suspenc3 said:
I suppose...is there a horizontal component of the acceleration?

Is there a horizontal component of the field?
 
and for part b, would I use :[tex]\vec{E} = k Q / r2[/tex]?
 
suspenc3 said:
and for part b, would I use :[tex]\vec{E} = k Q / r2[/tex]?

No, now that you have the accelerations just use kinematics. How long does it take the electron to go 2cm horizontally? Change in velocity=acceleration*time, etc, etc.
 
pardon my stupidness, but I've always been bad at this kinematic stuff.
Once I find the change in velocity what do I do?
 
This is going to make you really feel dumb, but you asked for it. Add the change in the velocity to the initial velocity to get the final velocity?