Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field with reference to voltage

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    If E=-∇V, does it mean that negative voltage emits positive electric field, and positive v negative ef?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2010 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It's basically a matter of definition.
    I think you can look at it this way: The field between a positive plate and a negative plate is said to be directed towards the negative plate (the direction in which a positive charge would move) but the positive plate has a positive potential with respect to the negative plate i.e. voltage increases in the opposite direction to the direction of the force on a positive charge.

4. Feb 2, 2010 #3
    you see I have this question where youre give an equation for potential deference of 10-5z^2, so E= -10z right?, anyway there is a field on one side of the slab (slab is the material with a charge) and it asks about EF on both sides, ie what is EF on right hand side and left hand side. As a hint there is "watch the sign" statement. So I am really confused o_O

5. Feb 2, 2010 #4

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

That is not what the Grad means! It is the CHANGE in potential over a distance, i.e. a gradient. In 1 dimension, it is E = -dV/dx.

Zz.

6. Feb 3, 2010 #5
    Yeah and d(10-5z^2)/dz=-10z, am I correct?

7. Feb 3, 2010 #6

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Uh?

If you want a simple explanation for the sign, the field points towards the negative side and away from the positive. i.e. a negative slope as distance towards the positive increases - hence the negative sign.
    Note. A field isn't "emitted".

8. Feb 3, 2010 #7
    Ok thanks a lot sophiecentaur, and yeah i know field isnt emitted, thats why i used "emitted" not emmited;) thanks guys

9. Feb 3, 2010 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

It was terminology I was referring to - not spelling:wink:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook