1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field within Cylinder

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    Electric Field within Cylinder - Gauss's Law

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am dying over this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. A long cylinder has a uniform fixed charge density [tex]\rho=-8.3\times 10^{ - 7} C/m^3[/tex]. The region outside the cylinder carries no charge. The radius of the cylinder is 0.024m.
    (a) What is the electric field at a position inside the cylinder marked "x" which is 0.017m away from the center line of the cylinder? A: -800 N/C
    (b) What is the electric field at a position outside the cylinder marked "y", which is 0.035m away from the center line of the cylinder? A: 770 N/C

2. Gauss's Law: [tex]\phi= \frac{\sigma A}{\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

3. The closest I got to the answer to part (a) is as follows:[tex] \\ Q=\rho\times A\times d=-5.11\times 10^{-11}[/tex][tex] E=K_{e}\frac{Q}{r^2}=-797.55 N/C[/tex]
    Part (b) i just can't seem to apply the same method, which i believe is pretty flawed to begin with.
    *My textbook doesn't cover this too deeply and my professor gave this to us as a supplemental problem.

After getting nowhere with the electric flux equations and it's diff forms for part (b), I found this page, which seemed to be exactly what I was looking for but i keep getting the wrong answer: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/elecyl.html

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss's Law is the correct way to do this problem. Can you show your work? I cant find you mistakes if I can't see your work.
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    I updated my question. I'm sorry about that. I hope it's easy to see what I'm doing wrong. I've included a jpeg of the problem. Thanks so much
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?