Electric Fields near the surface of the earth

In summary, a honeybee with a charge of +23 pC while flying would experience an electric force of 2.3 x 10^-9 N, which is equivalent to 2.3 x 10^-5 times its weight. To hang suspended in the air, the bee would need to experience an electric field of 4.3 x 10^7 N/C directed upward.
Mitchtwitchita

Homework Statement

A 0.10 g honeybee acquires a charge of +23 pC while flying.

(a) The electric field near the surface of the Earth is typically 100 N/C, directed downward. What is the ratio of the electric force on the bee to the bee's weight?

(b) What electric field strength and direction would allow the bee to hang suspended in the air?

Homework Equations

E = F on q/q+

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) E = fon q/q+
Therefore, F = Eq
= (100 N/C)(23 x 10^-12 C)
= 2.3 x 10^-9 N

Therefore, (2.3 x 10^-9)/(1.0 x 10^-4 kg)
= 2.3 x 10^-5 N/kg

(b) I don't really know how to get this one started. I think it would be directed upward though. Can someone please help me with part b and let me know if I was correct on part a?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a) you want to get a ratio.

weight = mg. So you need to multiply 1.0 x 10-4 kg by 9.81 m/s2

For b), if the bee is suspended, the resultant force is zero. So the electric force should be the same as the bee's what ?

weight?

Mitchtwitchita said:
weight?

Right, so EQ=mg. What is E?

Ah. Therefore E = mg/q
=[(1.0 x 10^-4 kg)(9.81 m/s)]/(23 x 10^-12 C)
=4.3 x 10^7 N/C?

Yes that is correct.

1. What is an electric field near the surface of the earth?

An electric field near the surface of the earth refers to the region in space where electrically charged particles experience a force due to the presence of an electric charge. This field is created by the earth's rotation, the movement of charged particles in the ionosphere, and lightning.

2. How strong is the electric field near the surface of the earth?

The strength of the electric field near the surface of the earth varies depending on location, time of day, and weather conditions. On average, it is around 100 volts per meter, but can reach up to 300 volts per meter during thunderstorms.

3. How does the electric field near the surface of the earth affect living organisms?

The electric field near the surface of the earth has been found to have a subtle but significant effect on living organisms, including humans. It has been linked to changes in circadian rhythms, melatonin production, and overall health. However, more research is needed to fully understand its effects.

4. Can we harness the electric field near the surface of the earth as a source of energy?

Yes, it is possible to harness the electric field near the surface of the earth as a source of energy through a process called atmospheric electricity harvesting. This involves using specialized equipment to convert the electric field into usable electricity.

5. How is the electric field near the surface of the earth measured?

The electric field near the surface of the earth is measured using instruments such as electric field meters or voltmeters. These instruments can be placed on the surface of the earth or in the atmosphere, and they measure the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific location.