1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields (Uniformly Charged Plates)

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the figure two large, thin metal plates are parallel and close to each other. On their inner faces, the plates have excess surface charge densities of opposite signs and magnitude 7.76 × 10-22 C/m2. What is the magnitude of the electric field at points (a) to the left of the plates, (b) to the right of them, and (c) between them?

upload_2016-6-5_17-11-35-png.101718.png

2. Relevant equations

Gauss' Law

3. The attempt at a solution

So I understand how to solve this problem and I am getting the correct solution but I was hoping for some clarification When using the pillbox method for gauss' law you consider two areas, the top and bottom part of the cylinder that is penetrating the plane. In parts a and b we still consider both areas but why wouldn't we just consider the area to the left or area to the right? Hopefully this makes sense!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your image isn't visible; it may be behind a required login. Can you UPLOAD it instead?

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    Sorry about that! Here it is.

upload_2016-6-5_17-11-35.png

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You need a volume that encloses the charge. If you placed one face so that it is coincident with the charge, geometrically the charge would not be enclosed by the volume.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted