Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric Flux through an Infinite Plane

1. Aug 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A point charge 60 microcoulomb is located in the origin. An infinite plane located at z=5. What is the electric flux in the plane due to the charge?

Q=60x10^-6 C at 0,0,0 (origin)
    z=5 (plane)

Here, I consider the electric flux emanating from Q that passes through the z plane. Each radial electric field produced by the charge forms circle in the plane. I get the summation of each circle circumference's ratio with whole sphere to infinity.

But I got 1/(2xepsilon) times 60microcoulomb = 30/e(epsilon). I know I did not got the right answer cause the answer must be the half of the charge. Any Idea of solving the problem? help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean that the answer must be half the charge? Gauss's law tells us that the total flux from the charge is [tex]Q/\epsilon_0[/tex]; what's half of that? (You've got it right.)

4. Aug 9, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

How do we use Gauss law here? It isn't an enclosed surface. I integrated it directly to get [tex]\frac{q}{2\varepsilon_0}[/tex].

5. Aug 9, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Just imagine one: A spherical surface surrounding the point charge. Clearly all "field lines" from one half of the sphere will pass through that plane.
    Nothing wrong with doing it the hard way. :wink:

6. Aug 9, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Oh I see. Thanks.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook