Electric Flux through an Infinite Plane

In summary, the question asks for the electric flux in an infinite plane located at z=5 due to a point charge of 60 microcoulomb located at the origin. The solution involves imagining a spherical surface surrounding the point charge and integrating to find the flux, which is equal to half the charge divided by the permittivity of free space.
julius71989

Homework Statement

A point charge 60 microcoulomb is located in the origin. An infinite plane located at z=5. What is the electric flux in the plane due to the charge?

Q=60x10^-6 C at 0,0,0 (origin)
z=5 (plane)

Here, I consider the electric flux emanating from Q that passes through the z plane. Each radial electric field produced by the charge forms circle in the plane. I get the summation of each circle circumference's ratio with whole sphere to infinity.

But I got 1/(2xepsilon) times 60microcoulomb = 30/e(epsilon). I know I did not got the right answer cause the answer must be the half of the charge. Any Idea of solving the problem? help.

Physics news on Phys.org
julius71989 said:
But I got 1/(2xepsilon) times 60microcoulomb = 30/e(epsilon). I know I did not got the right answer cause the answer must be the half of the charge.
What do you mean that the answer must be half the charge? Gauss's law tells us that the total flux from the charge is [tex]Q/\epsilon_0[/tex]; what's half of that? (You've got it right.)

How do we use Gauss law here? It isn't an enclosed surface. I integrated it directly to get [tex]\frac{q}{2\varepsilon_0}[/tex].

Defennder said:
How do we use Gauss law here? It isn't an enclosed surface.
Just imagine one: A spherical surface surrounding the point charge. Clearly all "field lines" from one half of the sphere will pass through that plane.
I integrated it directly to get [tex]\frac{q}{2\varepsilon_0}[/tex].
Nothing wrong with doing it the hard way. :wink:

Oh I see. Thanks.

1. What is electric flux through an infinite plane?

The electric flux through an infinite plane is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the plane. It is defined as the electric field strength multiplied by the area of the plane.

2. How is electric flux through an infinite plane calculated?

The electric flux through an infinite plane can be calculated using the formula Φ = E*A, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field strength, and A is the area of the plane.

3. Is the electric flux through an infinite plane constant?

Yes, the electric flux through an infinite plane is constant as long as the electric field strength and the area of the plane remain constant. This is because the electric field lines are parallel and evenly distributed across the plane.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric flux?

The unit of measurement for electric flux is volt meters (V•m) or newton meters squared per coulomb (N•m2/C).

5. How does the distance from the plane affect the electric flux?

The electric flux through an infinite plane is inversely proportional to the distance from the plane. This means that as the distance increases, the electric flux decreases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, similar to the relationship between electric field and distance.