Electric force in an electric field.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to incorporate a third charge into a calculation of electric force between two charges. The experts suggest calculating the force on the third charge from the first two charges separately and then adding them together. They also mention that the third charge does not affect itself, so the electric field at the point can be calculated as if it were not there.
MostlyHarmless
Generally I would type out the question myself rather than just screenshotting it but since I'm on my phone I elected to simply attach pictures of both the question and my work.

Part a and b I was able to do, but what I'm having a hard time with is part c. I know how to find the electric force between 2 charges, but I'm lost as to how I'm supposed to incorporate the third charge. I feel like I should be using some of the values I already calculated but I just don't know where to start on part c.

Attachments

• 1378842017781.jpg
    1378842017781.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 375
  • 1378842112755.jpg
    1378842112755.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 386
  • 1378842141127.jpg
    1378842141127.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
You know how to calculate the force between two charges. You can just calculate the force that act on the last charge from the first one, and then the force it feels from the second one. Then you can just add up the two forces. Just make sure you know you're adding up vectors.

You have done the hard part, assuming part a and b are correct. Since you have the E field at point P. how is force, e, and Q related?

Fe= qE

The addition of a non arbitrary charge at point p doesn't change the electric field vector? Does that mean my diagram is wrong for part c?

@Haye: I was pretty sure that's what I was supposed to be doing, I just didn't know how to calculate E with that third charge there.

I am not sure how to explain it properly, but the third point charge can't really affect itself, can it. So you just calculate the electric field at that point as if it wasn't there.

That makes enough sense for me to complete the problem :) thank you both for the help.

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields, which are created by charged particles.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force can act on a charged particle. It is created by charged particles and its strength and direction can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

3. How does electric force act in an electric field?

Electric force acts on a charged particle in an electric field by exerting a force in the direction of the field if the particle is positive and in the opposite direction if the particle is negative. The strength of the force is directly proportional to the charge of the particle and the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the relationship between electric force and electric field?

The relationship between electric force and electric field is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This relationship is also known as the inverse square law.

5. How is electric force in an electric field measured?

Electric force in an electric field is measured using a device called an electroscope, which can detect the presence and strength of an electric field. The amount of deflection of the electroscope's indicator is directly related to the strength of the electric field and can be used to calculate the force acting on a charged particle in the field.