1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force, theory and algebra.

1. Sep 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question has two parts.
    There is a quarter or radius R that is charged with a net force of Q. A point like charge of net charge q,is at a distance z from the center of the quarter.
    Q1: Under what condition could we use Coulomb's law to find the magnitude the force between the quarter and the charge.
    A1: My answer is when the charge on the Quarter is concentrated at its center.
    Q2: In an experiment the force was found to be given by , F= Qq/A2ε°(1 -( z/(z^2+R^2)^2/2). Where A is the area of the quarter. Apply your condition from Q1 to show this equation is consistent with Coulomb/s law.
    sorry it looks like a mess.
    2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to find the limit as R approaches zero. the part in the first set of brackets becomes zero, then so does the whole expression, so I was wondering if I approached this completely wrong, or if it's a matter of properly rearranging the expression. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's a matter of finding the limit properly. Are you familiar with Taylor series? If so, do a Taylor expansion and see what you get. If not, there is way to get around it that I can show you.

4. Sep 13, 2016 #3
    Thank you, this worked and reduced to coulomb's expression XDXDXD

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted