Electric force, theory and algebra.

In summary, the conversation discusses using Coulomb's law to find the magnitude of force between a charged quarter and a point charge at a certain distance. The condition for using Coulomb's law is when the charge on the quarter is concentrated at its center. The formula for force found in an experiment is shown to be consistent with Coulomb's law by taking the limit as the radius approaches zero.
NihalRi

Homework Statement

This question has two parts.
There is a quarter or radius R that is charged with a net force of Q. A point like charge of net charge q,is at a distance z from the center of the quarter.
Q1: Under what condition could we use Coulomb's law to find the magnitude the force between the quarter and the charge.
A1: My answer is when the charge on the Quarter is concentrated at its center.
Q2: In an experiment the force was found to be given by , F= Qq/A2ε°(1 -( z/(z^2+R^2)^2/2). Where A is the area of the quarter. Apply your condition from Q1 to show this equation is consistent with Coulomb/s law.
sorry it looks like a mess.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the limit as R approaches zero. the part in the first set of brackets becomes zero, then so does the whole expression, so I was wondering if I approached this completely wrong, or if it's a matter of properly rearranging the expression. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a matter of finding the limit properly. Are you familiar with Taylor series? If so, do a Taylor expansion and see what you get. If not, there is way to get around it that I can show you.

Likes NihalRi
kuruman said:
It's a matter of finding the limit properly. Are you familiar with Taylor series? If so, do a Taylor expansion and see what you get. If not, there is way to get around it that I can show you.
Thank you, this worked and reduced to coulomb's expression XDXDXD

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields generated by the particles.

2. What is the theory behind electric force?

The theory behind electric force is described by Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This theory also incorporates the concept of electric fields and how they interact with charged particles.

3. How is electric force measured?

Electric force is measured using the SI unit of Newtons (N). This can be done using a device called an electroscope, which measures the amount of electric charge present on an object.

4. What is the relationship between electric force and electric charge?

Electric force and electric charge are directly related, meaning that the strength of the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the amount of charge they possess. This relationship is described by Coulomb's law.

5. Can electric force be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, electric force can be manipulated and controlled by altering the amount of charge on an object or by changing the distance between two charged particles. This can be done through various methods such as using conductors or insulators, or by using devices such as capacitors and resistors.