Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric force (varying) on q from Q (conceptual question)

1. Sep 11, 2015 #1
    Let's say Q is a charge at fixed position on the x - axis. There is another identical charge q on the y - axis. There is an electric force acting on q from Q (and it's not constant.) My question is can I find force acting upon q from Q to move q to a certain distance "a" , along y - axis (distance "a" from it's original position.)

Now that I have stated the conditions, my question - Can I integrate the Electric Force = q Q / ( 4 π ε ) ∫ 1 / r^2 to find the force that acts on q due Q which causes q to move a distance "a"

If you have a link to a source that explains this whole idea of varying electric force please let me know, that would be a massive help.

Thank you :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2015 #2
    You already know the force. It's a variable force whsose magnitude at any point is given by coulombs law. If you integrate it with respect to dr, as you have suggested, you'll get work done by the force, not force.

4. Sep 12, 2015 #3
    Thanks a lot! Yesterday, I completely forgot that the area under F x d graph is a work done by the force...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook