Electric Forces with particles and Columbs law problem.

In summary: Maybe there's a typo in the question or in the answer key?In summary, two particles with charges of -7.13 × 10-6 C and 1.87 × 10-6 C, respectively, are placed 0.0284 meters apart. The magnitude of the force that one particle exerts on the other is 148.7 N. When two new particles with identical positive charges are placed at the same distance, the force between them is found to be the same. The value of the charge on these new particles, q3, can be calculated using the equation Fe= K*q3^2/r^2. After solving for q3, the answer is found to be 3.651 x
Toon

Homework Statement

Two particles, one with charge -7.13 × 10-6 C and one with charge 1.87 × 10-6 C, are 0.0284 meters apart. What is the magnitude of the force that one particle exerts on the other?
Two new particles, which have identical positive charge q3, are placed the same 0.0284 meters apart, and the force between them is measured to be the same as that between the original particles. What is q3?

Homework Equations

Fe=Kq1*q2 /r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first part. I got the answer right for the force which was 148.7 N. However for the second part, I tried doing Fe= kq3^2/r^2 and solved for q3. However I keep getting 3.6 x 10 ^-6 columbs and that's wrong according the my physics homework website. Any help where I am going wrong?THanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it be that you are not expressing your answer to the correct number of significant figures?

TSny said:
Could it be that you are not expressing your answer to the correct number of significant figures?
thats what I am thinking. However I've tried diffrent ways of expressing the answer and its still wrong so I am assuming my numbers might be off.

What do you get to 3 significant figures?

TSny said:
What do you get to 3 significant figures?
3.651 x 10 ^-6 but the answer is still wrong

Well, your answer certainly looks correct to me.

1. What is an electric force?

An electric force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between two charged particles. It is caused by the interaction of electric fields created by the charged particles.

2. What is Coulomb's law?

Coulomb's law is a mathematical equation that describes the magnitude of the force between two charged particles. It states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. How do I calculate the electric force between two particles?

To calculate the electric force between two particles, you can use the equation F = k(q1q2) / r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. What is the unit of electric force?

The unit of electric force is Newtons (N), which is the unit of force in the International System of Units (SI). It can also be expressed as Coulombs (C) multiplied by meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. How does the distance between two particles affect the electric force between them?

The electric force between two particles is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the particles decreases, the force between them increases exponentially. As the distance increases, the force decreases.