Electric Generators and Faraday's Law

In summary, the amplitude of the induced EMF in a generator turning at 180 Hz with a constant magnetic field is 150 V. This can be determined by using the equation ε = ε0sin ωt and solving for ε0. The value of NAB, which does not change, can be used to solve for the new ε0.
Violagirl

Homework Statement

When a generator turns at 60 Hz, the amplitude of the induced EMF is 50 V. What is its amplitude when it turns at 180 Hz if the magnetic field remains the same?

Homework Equations

ω = 2∏f

ε = ε0sin ωt

The Attempt at a Solution

If f = 180 Hz,

ω = 2∏(180 Hz)

ω = 1131 m/s

To find ε0 at 180 Hz:

ε/sin ωt = ε0

From this I get:

(50 V) / sin(1131 m/s)

ε0 = 64.3 V

However my book says that the answer should be 150 V and I'm not sure what I did wrong with it...

Physics news on Phys.org
50V is ε0.
ε0 = NABω. NAB doesn't change.

Solve for NAB and use that value to solve for the new ε0.

Thank you so much! Figured it out! :biggrin:

1. What is an electric generator?

An electric generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It uses the principles of Faraday's Law to produce electricity.

2. How does an electric generator work?

An electric generator works by rotating a coil of wire inside a magnetic field. This motion creates a changing magnetic flux, which induces an electric current in the wire according to Faraday's Law.

3. What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law states that when a conductor (such as a wire) moves through a magnetic field, it will experience an induced voltage. This voltage is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux.

4. What are the different types of electric generators?

There are several types of electric generators, including: direct current (DC) generators, alternating current (AC) generators, and synchronous generators. These generators differ in their design and the type of current they produce.

5. What are some practical applications of electric generators?

Electric generators are used in a variety of applications, such as power plants, wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, and portable generators for backup power. They are also used in everyday devices like cars, lawnmowers, and bicycles to power lights and other accessories.