1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric immersion water heater time

1. Mar 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The mechanical equivalent of heat is 1cal=4.18J. The specific heat of water is 1cal/g*K and its mass is 1g/cm^3. an electric immersion water heater rated at 400 W should heat a liter of water from 10C to 30C in about how much time

2. Relevant equations
    R=v/i
    power=v*i

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer is 3.5 minutes but i do not know how to get there. Im pretty lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Work out the units. What is a watt? How many grams of water are in 1 liter?

BTW, the formulas in Section 2 won't help you with this problem, since you don't know voltage, current, or resistance.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

im still confused i know that a watt is joules per second and that 1000 grams of water in a liter but how do i connect everything?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  5. Mar 7, 2016 #4
    you should calculate amount of heat required to raise the water from t1 to t2 given -then calculate the time taken by the heater to provide that heat-
    heat req.= related to( massxsp. heatx temp diff ) by calorimetric equation

6. Mar 7, 2016 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to go back and study the SI system some more. 1 liter contains way more than 100 grams of water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted