Electric immersion water heater time

In summary: It contains 1000 grams of water.Once you get the units straight, you need to think about what the problem is telling you. It's telling you the power of the heater and the amount of water to heat and the temperature rise. Can you figure out how to use those things to figure out how much heat needs to be supplied?In summary, the problem involves using the mechanical equivalent of heat, specific heat of water, and power of an electric immersion heater to determine the amount of time it will take to heat a liter of water from 10C to 30C. This can be done by calculating the heat required to raise the water temperature and then using the power of the heater to determine the time needed to
rgold

Homework Statement

The mechanical equivalent of heat is 1cal=4.18J. The specific heat of water is 1cal/g*K and its mass is 1g/cm^3. an electric immersion water heater rated at 400 W should heat a liter of water from 10C to 30C in about how much time

Homework Equations

R=v/i
power=v*i

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 3.5 minutes but i do not know how to get there. I am pretty lost.[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
rgold said:

Homework Statement

The mechanical equivalent of heat is 1cal=4.18J. The specific heat of water is 1cal/g*K and its mass is 1g/cm^3. an electric immersion water heater rated at 400 W should heat a liter of water from 10C to 30C in about how much time

Homework Equations

R=v/i
power=v*i

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer is 3.5 minutes but i do not know how to get there. I am pretty lost.[/B]
Work out the units. What is a watt? How many grams of water are in 1 liter?

BTW, the formulas in Section 2 won't help you with this problem, since you don't know voltage, current, or resistance.

SteamKing said:
Work out the units. What is a watt? How many grams of water are in 1 liter?

BTW, the formulas in Section 2 won't help you with this problem, since you don't know voltage, current, or resistance.

im still confused i know that a watt is joules per second and that 1000 grams of water in a liter but how do i connect everything?

Last edited:
rgold said:

Homework Equations

R=v/i
power=v*i
you should calculate amount of heat required to raise the water from t1 to t2 given -then calculate the time taken by the heater to provide that heat-
heat req.= related to( massxsp. heatx temp diff ) by calorimetric equation

rgold said:
im still confused i know that a watt is joules per second and that 100 grams of water in a liter but how do i connect everything?

You need to go back and study the SI system some more. 1 liter contains way more than 100 grams of water.

1. How long does it take for an electric immersion water heater to heat up?

The time it takes for an electric immersion water heater to heat up depends on the size of the heater, the initial temperature of the water, and the desired temperature of the water. On average, it can take anywhere from 20-30 minutes to heat up a full tank of water.

2. Can I set a timer for my electric immersion water heater?

Yes, most electric immersion water heaters come with a built-in timer that allows you to set the heating time according to your needs. This feature is especially useful for saving energy and reducing electricity costs.

3. How often should I replace my electric immersion water heater?

The lifespan of an electric immersion water heater can vary depending on usage and maintenance. However, on average, it is recommended to replace your heater every 8-10 years to ensure optimal performance and efficiency.

4. Is it safe to leave an electric immersion water heater on overnight?

To ensure safety and prevent any potential hazards, it is not recommended to leave an electric immersion water heater on overnight. It is best to turn off the heater when not in use and only turn it on when needed.

5. How do I know when my electric immersion water heater needs to be replaced?

Signs that your electric immersion water heater may need to be replaced include a decrease in water temperature, strange noises coming from the heater, and an increase in electricity bills. If you notice any of these signs, it may be time to replace your heater.