Electric potential at point from origin

In summary, to determine the electric potential at a point (2.7, 0, -2.7) in the presence of a uniform electric field with E=-6.0 i + .8 j + 3.42 k N/C, one can use a straight path from the origin to the point and find the change in potential using the dot product E dot (p1 - p0). The given starting potential at the origin should also be included.
rlaulusa

Homework Statement

In the presence of a uniform electric field, E=-6.0 i + .8 j + 3.42 k N/C, assume that the electric potential is -5V at the origin of the coordinate system, and determine the electric potential at the point 2.7 i -2.7 k.

Here's what I've done so far
[tex]\Delta[/tex]V=V(2.7, 0, -2.7) - V(0, 0, 0,) = [tex]\int[/tex]Eds
=-([tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{2.7}_{0}[/tex]Exdx + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{0}_{0}[/tex]Eydy + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{-2.7}_{0}[/tex]Ezdz)
=-([tex]\int[/tex]-6.9dx + [tex]\int[/tex].8dy + [tex]\int[/tex]3.42dx)
=3.48 V

But I don't think this is correct. We did a problem similar to this in class where we had to define the path we were taking, but I wasn't sure how to do that in this problem.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The field is stated to be uniform, so the potential should change uniformly per unit distance in a given direction. A straight path from the origin p0 = (0,0,0) to your destination p1 = (2.7,0,-2.7) should do nicely, with the change in potential being given by the dot product E dot (p1 - p0). Don't forget to include the given starting potential at the origin. You should also state the units of measure for the distances!

1. What is electric potential at a point from the origin?

Electric potential at a point from the origin is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at that point, relative to the origin. It is a measure of the electric potential difference between the point and the origin.

2. How is the electric potential at a point from the origin calculated?

The electric potential at a point from the origin is calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge at the origin, and r is the distance between the point and the origin.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential at a point from the origin?

The unit of measurement for electric potential is volts, which is represented by the symbol V. This unit is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

4. How does the electric potential at a point from the origin affect electric charges?

The electric potential at a point from the origin determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field at that point. Electric charges will experience a force in the direction of decreasing potential, moving from higher to lower potential.

5. Can the electric potential at a point from the origin be negative?

Yes, the electric potential at a point from the origin can be negative. This means that the point has a lower potential energy compared to the origin. It is typically seen when there is a negatively charged object at the origin, and the point is located at a distance greater than the object's radius.