Electric Potential between two points

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of electric potential at point A, which is located halfway between two equal point charges separated by a distance of 2.00 m. The correct calculation involves adding the electric potentials of the two charges, rather than subtracting them. This is because electric potential is a scalar quantity and not a vector quantity.
123yt

Homework Statement

Two equal point charges Q = 5.18 C are separated by a distance d = 2.00 m. (See figure.)

[URL]http://homework.phyast.pitt.edu/res/msu/nagytibo/Electromagnetism/Electrostatics/graphics/010a.gif[/URL]

Point A is halfway between the charges and point B is located 1.00 m to the right of the second charge. What is the electric potential at point A?

Homework Equations

V = G*q / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the potential would be 0, since it's half-way between the two points, meaning that the Electric Field would be 0 there, but that wasn't the correct answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like you're getting the electric potential and the electric field confused.
If you had a single point charge what would the electric potential be at that point? Now if you added more charge would you expect the electric potential to increase or decrease?

If the charge was on the opposite side of the point, the electric field lines would be pointing in the opposite direction, so wouldn't the opposite E-field lines become negative for potential and cancel out the other charge?

Since the charges are the same sign the fields will add (if one was a negatively charged particle the fields would cancel)

So I just add the two electric potentials together instead of subtracting them?

Could you explain why they add together instead of canceling? If I released the particle at the center, there wouldn't be any net force exerted on it, and it would remain stationary.

I don't know of a great way to visualize it but think about the electric potential decreasing as it moves away from the point charge so you have only so much left as you move further away.

Each point is just another electric potential that is vectorially outward (assuming a positive charge). So if you added another set of electric potentials that overlap the first then via superposition the total electric potential would be this newly defined gradient.

I don't know if I was clear but I hope that helps.

Bhumble said:
Each point is just another electric potential that is vectorially outward (assuming a positive charge). So if you added another set of electric potentials that overlap the first then via superposition the total electric potential would be this newly defined gradient.

Electric potential is not a vector quantity.

and this the solution of your question too 123yt.

the potential due to 2 points is added algebraically as its a scalar

1. What is electric potential between two points?

Electric potential between two points is a measure of the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another against an electric field.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge at a specific point.

3. What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V).

4. How does distance affect electric potential between two points?

The electric potential between two points decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, thus requiring less work to move a charge between the points.

5. Can electric potential be negative?

Yes, electric potential can be negative. A negative electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed towards the positive charge, while a positive electric potential indicates that the electric field is directed towards the negative charge.