1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential - Conceptual question

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

At a certain distance from a point charge, the magnitude of the electric field is 500 V/m and the electric potential is -3.00 kV. (a) What is the distance to the charge? (b) What is the magnitude of the charge?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) 6 meters
    b) -2 micro-Coulombs
    *These are correct, I mention this fact cause I don't want you to have to waste your time checking so.

My question is: for part b, if you solve for Q, the magnitude of charge, from E instead of V (E = kq/r^2), what is the visual concept behind why the charge is negative? Because obviously if you solve from V, you will get a negative 2 uC.

Of course the book asks for magnitude anyway, but the answer key gives the negative sign as well. I want to understand the concept behind it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You cannot tell the sign of Q just using E, since you were not told the direction of the field.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    Thank you, and just to verify - because of the potential given, it is a fact that the charge is negative?

5. Oct 16, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook