Electric Potential Difference -- Conceptual Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving concentric shells with different charges. The solution involves calculating the potential difference between the two shells, which may be influenced by the way the student is measuring it. The shells are made of insulating material and have uniformly distributed charges, with the potential being zero at an infinite distance. The magnitude of the potential difference is not specified.
anon1234
Homework Statement
Potential difference (ΔV)measured by the student between the inner solid sphere and outer shell after putting a charge - 4Q is :
Relevant Equations
v = kq/r
I am able to get V1 = kq/a - 4kq/b
and V2 = kq/b + -4kq/b

For some reason the solution says it is V1-V2 as opposed to V2-V1.

Maybe has something to do with positive shell in the center and negative outer shell? I know the electric field goes from positive to negative, but I don't know how they relate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please post a figure of the problem or describe it the best way you can. Your description of the problem is incomplete. Do we have a solid sphere of radius a and charge Q, surrounded by a shell of radius b and charge -4Q? Or do we have two shells? I really can't understand.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Please post a figure of the problem or describe it the best way you can. Your description of the problem is incomplete. Do we have a solid sphere of radius a and charge Q, surrounded by a shell of radius b and charge -4Q? Or do we have two shells? I really can't understand.
It is 2 concentric shells. The first shell has radius a (charge Q), and the second shell has radius b (with charge -4Q).

How is the student measuring it? That might matter.

hutchphd said:
How is the student measuring it? That might matter.
I hope this is ample info.

Both shells are made of insulating material, and the charges are distributed uniformly over its surface. Take the electric potential to be zero at an infinite distance from both shells. What is the magnitude of the potential difference between the surfaces
of the two shells?

anon1234 said:
What is the magnitude
This phrase implies a positive number...(?)

Likes Delta2
hutchphd said:
This phrase implies a positive number...(?)
lol. ty!

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of work needed to move a unit of charge from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference related to electric current?

Electric potential difference is the driving force behind electric current. The higher the potential difference, the greater the force on the charges and the faster they will move through the circuit.

3. What factors affect electric potential difference?

The two main factors that affect electric potential difference are the amount of charge and the distance between the two points. The greater the charge and the closer the points, the higher the potential difference will be.

4. How is electric potential difference different from electric potential?

Electric potential is the potential energy per unit of charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is a scalar quantity, while electric potential difference is a vector quantity that represents the difference in potential between two points.

5. Can electric potential difference be negative?

Yes, electric potential difference can be negative. This occurs when the electric field is directed in the opposite direction of the movement of the charges, resulting in a decrease in potential energy. However, the magnitude of the negative potential difference is still measured in positive volts.