1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential due to a solid sphere

1. Jul 1, 2017 #1
    • Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
    Hello Guys! This is my first post so bear with me. I am currently studying the basics of electrostatics using the textbook "Introduction to electrodynamics 3 edt. - David J. Griffiths". My problem comes when i try to solve problem 2.21.

Find the potential V inside and outside a uniformly charged solid sphere whose radius is R and whose total charge is q. Use infinity as your reference point. Compute the gradient of V in each region, and check that it yields the correct field. Sketch V(r).

Using the equation [itex] V(r) = \int\limits_O^r \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{l} [/itex] and Gauss law [itex] \oint \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{a} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], I can solve the problem and get the same answer as in this guide http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/08/electric-potential-examples/ first example. But my problem appears when I want to use the formular [itex] V(\boldsymbol{r})= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' [/itex] where [itex] \boldsymbol{\eta} = \boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{r}' [/itex] as defined in Griffiths textbook.

This is my calculation using the last formular.

We got a solid sphere with radius R and total charge q, therefore [itex] \rho = \frac{q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/itex]

[tex]
    \begin{align*}
    V &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' \\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int\limits^{2 \pi}_0 \int\limits^{\pi}_{0} \int\limits^{R}_0 \frac{\rho}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2-2rz \cos(\theta)}} \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}r \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]
    Using substitution [itex]
    g =r^2+z^2-2rz \cos(\theta) \longrightarrow \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{1}{2rz \sin(\theta)} \mathrm{d}g
    [/itex]
    [tex]
    \begin{align*}
    V &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int\limits^{2 \pi}_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \int\limits^{R}_0 \frac{\rho}{2rz\sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}r \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}\phi\\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} 2 \pi \int\limits^R_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \frac{\rho}{2rz \sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}r\\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \frac{\rho}{rz \sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}r\\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big[ \sqrt{g} \Big]^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \ \mathrm{d}r\\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big( \sqrt{r^2+z^2+2rz} - \sqrt{r^2+z^2-2rz} \Big) \ \mathrm{d}r\\
    &= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big( \sqrt{(r+z)^2} - \sqrt{(r-z)^2} \Big) \ \mathrm{d}r\\
    \end{align*}
    [/tex]
    At this stage I am a bit confused, the r will cancel out and i will be left with 1/r which will turn out to ln(r) after integration, does any one know what am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2017 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the volume element really sin(θ) dθ dΦ dr?
    What is z?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  4. Jul 1, 2017 #3
    Oh there is actually missing a [itex] r^2 [/itex]. Due to Griffiths book the volume element is given by the formula [itex] \mathrm{d} \tau = r^2 \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi \ \mathrm{d}r [/itex].

5. Jul 1, 2017 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, but you integrate with respect to r'. You have to use different symbols for the position of the point r where you want to determine the potential, and the position of the charge element r' inside the sphere. And what is z?

6. Jul 1, 2017 #5
    19679579_10213964056523381_1499090821_n.jpg
    So z is the distance from the origin to the point where I want to know the potential. The shown figure above is made for a shell, so the small rectangle should be a small volume element. And the angle [itex] \theta' [/itex] is what I call [itex] \theta [/itex]

7. Jul 1, 2017 #6
    Aarh I see. I am actually confusing my self by avoiding the ' symbol. Thanks I will try again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted