Electric potential due to a solid sphere

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is studying electrostatics using a specific textbook and is having trouble solving a problem involving finding the potential inside and outside of a charged sphere. They discuss using different formulas and mention a calculation using the last formula. They also mention a confusion about the volume element and clarify it by referencing Griffiths' book. Finally, there is a clarification about the symbols used for the position of the point and the charge element.
Marcus Nielsen
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
Hello Guys! This is my first post so bear with me. I am currently studying the basics of electrostatics using the textbook "Introduction to electrodynamics 3 edt. - David J. Griffiths". My problem comes when i try to solve problem 2.21.

Find the potential V inside and outside a uniformly charged solid sphere whose radius is R and whose total charge is q. Use infinity as your reference point. Compute the gradient of V in each region, and check that it yields the correct field. Sketch V(r).

Using the equation [itex] V(r) = \int\limits_O^r \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{l} [/itex] and Gauss law [itex] \oint \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{a} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], I can solve the problem and get the same answer as in this guide http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/08/electric-potential-examples/ first example. But my problem appears when I want to use the formula [itex] V(\boldsymbol{r})= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' [/itex] where [itex] \boldsymbol{\eta} = \boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{r}' [/itex] as defined in Griffiths textbook.

This is my calculation using the last formula.

We got a solid sphere with radius R and total charge q, therefore [itex] \rho = \frac{q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/itex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
V &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' \\
&= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int\limits^{2 \pi}_0 \int\limits^{\pi}_{0} \int\limits^{R}_0 \frac{\rho}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2-2rz \cos(\theta)}} \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}r \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Using substitution [itex]
g =r^2+z^2-2rz \cos(\theta) \longrightarrow \mathrm{d}\theta = \frac{1}{2rz \sin(\theta)} \mathrm{d}g
[/itex]
[tex]
\begin{align*}
V &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int\limits^{2 \pi}_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \int\limits^{R}_0 \frac{\rho}{2rz\sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}r \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}\phi\\
&= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} 2 \pi \int\limits^R_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \frac{\rho}{2rz \sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}r\\
&= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \int\limits^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \frac{\rho}{rz \sqrt{g}} \ \mathrm{d}g \ \mathrm{d}r\\
&= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big[ \sqrt{g} \Big]^{g(\pi)}_{g(0)} \ \mathrm{d}r\\
&= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big( \sqrt{r^2+z^2+2rz} - \sqrt{r^2+z^2-2rz} \Big) \ \mathrm{d}r\\
&= \frac{1}{4 \epsilon_0} \int\limits^R_0 \frac{2\rho}{rz} \Big( \sqrt{(r+z)^2} - \sqrt{(r-z)^2} \Big) \ \mathrm{d}r\\
\end{align*}
[/tex]
At this stage I am a bit confused, the r will cancel out and i will be left with 1/r which will turn out to ln(r) after integration, does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus Nielsen said:
Hello Guys! This is my first post so bear with me. I am currently studying the basics of electrostatics using the textbook "Introduction to electrodynamics 3 edt. - David J. Griffiths". My problem comes when i try to solve problem 2.21.

Find the potential V inside and outside a uniformly charged solid sphere whose radius is R and whose total charge is q. Use infinity as your reference point. Compute the gradient of V in each region, and check that it yields the correct field. Sketch V(r).

Using the equation [itex] V(r) = \int\limits_O^r \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{l} [/itex] and Gauss law [itex] \oint \boldsymbol{E} \cdot \mathrm{d} \boldsymbol{a} = \frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_0} [/itex], I can solve the problem and get the same answer as in this guide http://www.physicspages.com/2011/10/08/electric-potential-examples/ first example. But my problem appears when I want to use the formula [itex] V(\boldsymbol{r})= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' [/itex] where [itex] \boldsymbol{\eta} = \boldsymbol{r}-\boldsymbol{r}' [/itex] as defined in Griffiths textbook.

This is my calculation using the last formula.

We got a solid sphere with radius R and total charge q, therefore [itex] \rho = \frac{q}{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3} [/itex]

[tex]
\begin{align*}
V &= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{\rho(\boldsymbol{r'})}{\eta} \mathrm{d}\tau' \\
&= \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \int\limits^{2 \pi}_0 \int\limits^{\pi}_{0} \int\limits^{R}_0 \frac{\rho}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2-2rz \cos(\theta)}} \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}r \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi
\end{align*}
[/tex]
Is the volume element really sin(θ) dθ dΦ dr?
What is z?

Last edited:
Oh there is actually missing a [itex] r^2 [/itex]. Due to Griffiths book the volume element is given by the formula [itex] \mathrm{d} \tau = r^2 \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi \ \mathrm{d}r [/itex].

Marcus Nielsen said:
Oh there is actually missing a [itex] r^2 [/itex]. Due to Griffiths book the volume element is given by the formula [itex] \mathrm{d} \tau = r^2 \sin(\theta) \ \mathrm{d}\theta \ \mathrm{d}\phi \ \mathrm{d}r [/itex].
Yes, but you integrate with respect to r'. You have to use different symbols for the position of the point r where you want to determine the potential, and the position of the charge element r' inside the sphere. And what is z?

19679579_10213964056523381_1499090821_n.jpg

So z is the distance from the origin to the point where I want to know the potential. The shown figure above is made for a shell, so the small rectangle should be a small volume element. And the angle [itex] \theta' [/itex] is what I call [itex] \theta [/itex]

Aarh I see. I am actually confusing my self by avoiding the ' symbol. Thanks I will try again.

What is electric potential due to a solid sphere?

Electric potential due to a solid sphere refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space surrounding the sphere. It is a measure of the electric field strength created by the sphere.

How is electric potential due to a solid sphere calculated?

The electric potential due to a solid sphere is calculated using the formula V = kQ/r where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in space.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field due to a solid sphere?

The electric field due to a solid sphere is directly proportional to the electric potential. This means that as the electric potential increases, the electric field strength also increases.

How does the size of the solid sphere affect its electric potential?

The size of the solid sphere directly affects its electric potential. As the radius of the sphere increases, the electric potential decreases. This is because the charge is spread out over a larger surface area, resulting in a weaker electric field and potential.

Can the electric potential due to a solid sphere ever be negative?

Yes, the electric potential due to a solid sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative, resulting in an attractive electric field. However, the magnitude of the potential is always positive.