1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Energy Concept

1. Jul 7, 2015 #1
    I'm unsure if the following is true or not in the absence of external forces:
    • Electric potential is a scalar quantity.
    This I know is true because there is no direction associated with potential energy.
    • It is always possible to assign a value of zero to the electric potential at the origin.
    This I am completely unsure of though I think it is true because potential depends on a reference point that you can set yourself.
    • The change in a particle's potential energy depends on the total length of its path between two points.
    I suspect that this is true because U = qV and V is dependent on the distance between the points.
    • The work required to move a charge q from a point at potential Vi to a point at potential Vf is q(Vf - Vi).
    This should be false because (delta)U = q(Vf - Vi) and W = -(delta)U so it should be -q(Vf - Vi) instead.

Can someone please verify my reasoning and correct me if I'm wrong? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2015 #2
    q(Vf - Vi) is correct for the work done by the force opposing the electric force. If the work done by electric field was being considered, it would be q(Vi - Vf).

4. Jul 7, 2015 #3
    That means all of the points listed are true then? I'm really uncertain about the second point.

5. Jul 7, 2015 #4
    Your second point is true as long as you offset the potentials of all the charges in the system wrt. the ground you take.

6. Jul 7, 2015 #5
    what did u end up getting for this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook