Electric Potential Energy Concept

In summary, electric potential is a scalar quantity with no direction associated with potential energy. It is possible to assign a value of zero to the electric potential at the origin, and the change in a particle's potential energy depends on the total length of its path between two points. The work required to move a charge q from a point at potential Vi to a point at potential Vf is q(Vf - Vi), but if the work done by the electric field is being considered, it would be q(Vi - Vf). Overall, all of the points listed are true, including the second point as long as the potentials of all the charges in the system are offset with respect to the chosen ground.
r0306
I'm unsure if the following is true or not in the absence of external forces:
  • Electric potential is a scalar quantity.
This I know is true because there is no direction associated with potential energy.
  • It is always possible to assign a value of zero to the electric potential at the origin.
This I am completely unsure of though I think it is true because potential depends on a reference point that you can set yourself.
  • The change in a particle's potential energy depends on the total length of its path between two points.
I suspect that this is true because U = qV and V is dependent on the distance between the points.
  • The work required to move a charge q from a point at potential Vi to a point at potential Vf is q(Vf - Vi).
This should be false because (delta)U = q(Vf - Vi) and W = -(delta)U so it should be -q(Vf - Vi) instead.

Can someone please verify my reasoning and correct me if I'm wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
q(Vf - Vi) is correct for the work done by the force opposing the electric force. If the work done by electric field was being considered, it would be q(Vi - Vf).

TESL@ said:
q(Vf - Vi) is correct for the work done by the force opposing the electric force. If the work done by electric field was being considered, it would be q(Vi - Vf).
That means all of the points listed are true then? I'm really uncertain about the second point.

Your second point is true as long as you offset the potentials of all the charges in the system wrt. the ground you take.

what did u end up getting for this?

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the energy possessed by a charged object due to its position in an electric field. It is the potential of an object to do work in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential energy calculated?

Electric potential energy is calculated by multiplying the charge of an object by the potential difference, or voltage, between two points. The formula for electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.

3. What is the unit of electric potential energy?

The unit of electric potential energy is joules (J), which is the standard unit for measuring energy. It can also be expressed in electron volts (eV), which is a smaller unit of energy used in atomic and subatomic physics.

4. How is electric potential energy related to electric potential?

Electric potential energy and electric potential are closely related concepts. Electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, it is the electric potential energy per unit charge. The two are related by the equation U = qV, where U is the electric potential energy and V is the electric potential.

5. What is the difference between electric potential energy and electric potential?

While electric potential energy is the total energy possessed by a charged object due to its position in an electric field, electric potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in the field. In simpler terms, electric potential energy is a measure of the total energy, while electric potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge.