1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential/Equilateral Triangle

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    I'm stuck on this one, which I thought would be simple, hoping for a little nudge in the right direction.

The problem states an equilateral triangle, sides of .5mm (which I converted to .5E-3m), all equal charges of 4pC.

How much work must be done to move one charge to a point equidistant from the other two and on the line that joins them.

So here's how I went about figuring out how much work to move one point in between the other two. I set the triangle up with two points on the x-axis, .25E-3 meters from the origin, and the third point on the +ve y axis.

I said V=kq/r = (9E9)(4E-12)/.25E-3 = 144V from one charge on the x-axis, then multiplied by two, since the other charge is mirrored. So 288 Volts.

I then tried to move the charge on the yaxis into the origin by saying
    U = qV so U = (4E-12)(288) =1152E-12 J = 1152 pJ

However, their answer is 576 pJ, half of what I got... where am I going wrong?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about the potential difference between where the charge was initially placed and its final position.

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    Ah ha, because I'm not bringing it in from infinity I can subtract the joules needed to bring it to it's current position, then leftover will be what I need, it works! Got the answer! Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?