Electric potential: finding speed and distance?

In summary, a 3.45 micro C charge is held fixed at the origin and a second charge of the same magnitude is released at a position (1.15m, 0.77m). The mass of the second charge is given as 2.3 g and the question asks for its speed when it reaches infinity. The distance from the origin at which the charge reaches half its final speed is also requested. No information is given about voltage. Equations are needed to solve the problem.
papi
A charge of 3.45 micro C is held fixed at the origin. A second charge of 3.45 micro C (micro = x10^-6) is released at the position (1.15m, .77 m).

a. If the mass of the second charge is 2.3 g, what is the speed when it moves infinately far from the origin?

b. At what distance from the origin does the 3.45 micro C charge attain half the speed it will have at infinity?

I tried very hard to use the equations I know but am unaware of the ones that can be useful here.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the Voltage at the point it was released?

I don't know, that's all the question included...

papi said:
I don't know, that's all the question included...

That's not a given, but it's something you could figure out.

And if you did ... you could answer the question pretty directly.

all I know for that is Q=CV which doesn't seem to help
can you please be more specific bc you're not helping me understand this. thanks

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a point in space has per unit of charge.

2. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are related through the equation V = Ed, where V is the electric potential, E is the electric field, and d is the distance between the point in space and the source of the electric field.

3. How do you calculate the speed of a charged particle using electric potential?

The speed of a charged particle can be calculated using the equation v = √(2qV/m), where v is the speed, q is the charge of the particle, V is the electric potential, and m is the mass of the particle.

4. Can you determine the distance a charged particle has traveled using electric potential?

Yes, the distance a charged particle has traveled can be calculated using the equation d = v^2/2g, where d is the distance, v is the speed of the particle, and g is the acceleration due to the electric field.

5. What is the unit for electric potential?

The unit for electric potential is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).