1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential for an infinite plane charge distribution

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    Hello everybody,
    I have to calculate the electric field and the potential for a charge [tex]q[/tex] placed at distance [tex]d[/tex] from an infinite plane charge distribution [tex]\sigma[/tex].

For the electric field there's no problem, but how I can get the electric potential for an infinite charge distribution?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Integrate the field.

4. Oct 5, 2009 #3
    ok, but I get an unknown constant.

The field is [tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] in the x direction. So if I integrate it I get

[tex]V(x)=V(0)-\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}x[/tex]

Where the constant is unknown...maybe I don't need to know it

Further, if I calculate the potential starting from a circular plane distribution and then pulling the radius to infinity I get an infinite potential

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  5. Oct 5, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's just the field of a uniformly charged plate with surface charge density [itex]\sigma[/itex].... what about the field of the point charge?

There is always an "unknown constant" when calculating the potential. This is because it is determined from the differential equation [itex]\textbf{E}=-\mathbf{\nabla}V[/itex], and as you should know, first order DE's need at least one boundary/initial condition to find a unique solution...You are free to choose any value for your constant, simply by choosing a suitable reference point (a point where you define the potential to be zero)...in this case, choosing the origin as a reference point makes things simple (so that V(0)=0).

Unless you show your calculation, I cannot be certain of your error, but I suspect you are unknowingly choosing your reference point to be at r=infinity...r=infinity is usually a bad choice of reference point when dealing with charge distributions the extend to infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook