1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential From Electric Field

1. Oct 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two particles, of charges q1 and q2 are separated by distance d. The net electric field due to the particles is zero @ x=d/4.
    With V=0 @ infinity, locate (in terms of d) any point on the x axis (other than infinity) at which the electric potential due to the two particles is zero.

2. Relevant equations
    V=-[tex]\int[/tex][tex]^{f}_{i}[/tex] ([tex]\vec{E}[/tex] [tex]\bullet[/tex] d[tex]\vec{s}[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution
    Seems too obvious to be true, but I think V = 0 @ d/4 since E=0 as well.
    Anyone see where else is could be?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    Pretend like the two particles are equidistant from the origin, therefore the origin is the middle of the two charges. When finding potential at a point, it is the potential of one charge on the point plus the potential of the other charge on the point. Potential is not a vector, so I believe if the charges are the same, you will find your answer in the middle of the two charges.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook