1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential graph analysis

1. Oct 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    o8xszr.jpg

2. Relevant equations

ΔU = -q∫E * ds

3. The attempt at a solution

Just by looking at the graph I am thinking, if I solve for E using the equation above, the number would be always negative therefore I can conclude that the electric field at any x position would be negative and the graph will look the same it will be just inverted. (-y values)

I don't know if this is the correct way to look at the problem or if I have to use energy conservation but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2013 #2
    Ex = -dV/dx =negative of the slope of V-x graph.

What is the slope of graph between 0 and 1,1 and 3,3 and 4 ?

4. Oct 2, 2013 #3
    between 0 and 1, the slope is positive, 1 and 3 the slope is zero, 3 and 4 the slope is negative.

So if I use that equation you posted, between 0 and 1, the electric field will be negative, between 1 and 3 the electric field remains negative and then when x is between 3 and 4 the slope will be positive?

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    Recheck your reasoning

6. Oct 2, 2013 #5
    Oh, between 1 and 3 electric field is zero. 0 and 1 V slope is positive therefore efield is negative, 3 and 4 v slope is negative therefore efield is positive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted