Electric potential graph analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation ΔU = -q∫E * ds to determine the electric field at different x positions. The participant concludes that between 0 and 1, the electric field is negative, between 1 and 3 it remains negative, and between 3 and 4 it becomes positive. However, they are asked to recheck their reasoning.
freshcoast

Homework Statement

o8xszr.jpg

Homework Equations

ΔU = -q∫E * ds

The Attempt at a Solution

Just by looking at the graph I am thinking, if I solve for E using the equation above, the number would be always negative therefore I can conclude that the electric field at any x position would be negative and the graph will look the same it will be just inverted. (-y values)

I don't know if this is the correct way to look at the problem or if I have to use energy conservation but any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ex = -dV/dx =negative of the slope of V-x graph.

What is the slope of graph between 0 and 1,1 and 3,3 and 4 ?

between 0 and 1, the slope is positive, 1 and 3 the slope is zero, 3 and 4 the slope is negative.

So if I use that equation you posted, between 0 and 1, the electric field will be negative, between 1 and 3 the electric field remains negative and then when x is between 3 and 4 the slope will be positive?

freshcoast said:
between 0 and 1, the slope is positive, 1 and 3 the slope is zero, 3 and 4 the slope is negative.

So if I use that equation you posted, between 0 and 1, the electric field will be negative, between 1 and 3 the electric field remains negative and then when x is between 3 and 4 the slope will be positive?

Recheck your reasoning

Oh, between 1 and 3 electric field is zero. 0 and 1 V slope is positive therefore efield is negative, 3 and 4 v slope is negative therefore efield is positive.

1. What is an electric potential graph?

An electric potential graph is a visual representation of the electric potential at different points in space surrounding a charged particle or collection of charged particles. It is a two-dimensional graph with distance on the x-axis and electric potential on the y-axis.

2. How is an electric potential graph created?

An electric potential graph is created by calculating the electric potential at different points in space using the formula V=kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the particle, and r is the distance from the particle. The calculated values are then plotted on the graph to create a curve.

3. What can an electric potential graph tell us?

An electric potential graph can tell us the strength and direction of the electric field surrounding a charged particle. It can also show us the relationship between electric potential and distance, and how the potential changes as we move farther away from the particle.

4. How can we use an electric potential graph to analyze a circuit?

An electric potential graph can be used to analyze a circuit by showing the potential difference between different points in the circuit. This can help in understanding the flow of electricity and identifying any areas of high or low potential that may affect the performance of the circuit.

5. Can an electric potential graph be used to calculate the work done on a charged particle?

Yes, an electric potential graph can be used to calculate the work done on a charged particle by finding the area under the curve on the graph. This area represents the change in potential energy of the particle, which is equal to the work done on the particle.