Electric potential homework problems

In summary, the electric potential decreases from 120V to 80V as one moves on the X axis from x=-1cm to x=1cm. The electric field at the origin may be equal to or greater than 20V/cm, depending on the shape of the potential graph. Option a) cannot be the only correct answer, as the potential can behave in a variety of ways.
gandharva_23
mark the correct alternative :
The electric potential decreases from 120V to 80V as one moves on the X axis from x=-1cm to x=1cm . The electric field at the origin
a) must be equal to 20V/cm
b) may be equal to 20V/cm
c) may be greater than 20V/cm
d) may be greater than 20V/cm
i think all a , b and c should be correct but the answer given in the book is b and c . it will be b or c depending upon whether the V vs x graph is concave or convex . and b option will be correct for straight line graph .
what is incorrect in my approach ?

Physics news on Phys.org
gandharva_23 said:
mark the correct alternative :
The electric potential decreases from 120V to 80V as one moves on the X axis from x=-1cm to x=1cm . The electric field at the origin
a) must be equal to 20V/cm
b) may be equal to 20V/cm
c) may be greater than 20V/cm
d) may be greater than 20V/cm
i think all a , b and c should be correct but the answer given in the book is b and c . it will be b or c depending upon whether the V vs x graph is concave or convex . and b option will be correct for straight line graph .
what is incorrect in my approach ?

"a" can't be correct because of the "must be". If a was right, it would imply that this is the *only* possible answer (so it would not make sense to have a and another choice!).

Hi gandharva,

Simply knowing that the potential is decreasing from x = -1 to x = 1 is not nearly enough information to tell you what the electric field is at x = 0. All you know is that its positive since the potential is said to be decreasing. Try imagining or drawing situations where the slope of the potential graph is very small or very great at x = 0. See what possibilities you can come up with, and remember, the potential can do anything as long its decreasing the whole time.

Hope this helps.

P.S. As you have written it, the answer d) is the same as c). You might check to make sure you have posted all the information correctly.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit positive charge from infinity to a specific point in an electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric field is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charge in an electric field, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the energy per unit charge at a point in an electric field.

3. How do I calculate electric potential in a given situation?

The formula for electric potential is V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge creating the electric field, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the potential is being calculated. You can also use calculus to calculate electric potential in more complex situations.

4. What are some common units for electric potential?

Electric potential is commonly measured in volts (V) or kilovolts (kV).

5. How can I use electric potential to solve problems?

Electric potential can be used to calculate the work done by an electric field, the potential energy of a charged particle, or the electric field strength at a point. It can also be used to analyze circuits and determine the potential difference between different points. Practice problems involving electric potential can help you develop a better understanding of its applications.