1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential inside and outside a spherical Shell

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1
    1. Find the electric potential inside and outside a uniformly charged sphere of radius R, and whose total charge is q. Use infinity as your reference point. Compute the gradient of V in each region and check that it yields the correct field. Sketch V(r).

2. I used the theorem that electric potential equals the negative integral of the electric field dotted with dl.

3. They way I tried to solve this was that I said the electric field inside the sphere is zero and the electric field outside the sphere was from Gauss's law
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Apply Gauss' law also in the inside of the sphere. It is uniformly charged. There is charge enclosed within any Gaussian surface inside the sphere.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3
    The electric field is only zero inside of a conductor, your problem states that the object is uniformally charge which hints that it is a insulator.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook