1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential of a Uniformly Charged Sphere

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1
    My book gives the electric potential of a uniformly charged sphere as [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/itex][itex]\frac{Qr^2}{r_0^3}[/itex]. I can't derive this forumula. What I get is [itex]\frac{1}{8\pi \epsilon_0}[/itex][itex]\frac{Qr^2}{r_0^3}[/itex]. I can guess how the book did it which is by taking the equation for voltage of a single point charge [itex]V=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0}[/itex][itex]\frac{Q}{r}[/itex] then subbing in for Q enclosed [itex] Q\frac{r^3}{r_o^3} [/itex] which is the charge in terms of r. That would give you the book answer. I tried doing it a different way however which I'm not sure why it won't work. I used Va-Vb=[itex]\int _a^{b}[/itex] E dl. Yet when I get to solving for the electric field I get [itex]\frac{Q}{4\pi r^2 \epsilon_0}[/itex]. If I take Q out then I can solve for the book answer. However, Q is in terms of r which I wrote above so I can't take Q out. I must integrate it. That gives me the 1/8 instead of the 1/4. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Do you have a uniformly charged sphere, or ball? The derivation suggests a ball (charge everywhere in the volume), not a sphere. Q is the total charge, and r_0 is the radius of the ball?
    How do you get the electric field? It should not depend on r like that.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    Are you looking for the potential inside the sphere or outside? In other words is r > r0 or is r < r0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook