1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of concentric spheres

1. May 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attached image
    http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/148934_353406858048194_100001366491698_897020_688558166_n.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    V = integral of E * dr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not completely understand the solution to part B. I was able to solve it with the use of hints.

My guess to the explanation is: the electric field is 0 in the hollow conducting sphere/shell and thus the potential should at the inner surface and the outer surface should be equal.

However, I do not know why the potential is kq/c and not kq/b.

Also, I do not know the solution to part C (the hint says it involves both variables a and b).

My attempt at part C was kq/a

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2012 #2
    Since the electric field for b<r<c is zero, charge is uniformly distributed on the outer part of the sphere. So the potential for points B and C(and anything in between) should be....?

Edit: I thought this would be a better way to solve. Do you know Shell Theorem? What does that imply on the potential inside the sphere?

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  4. May 12, 2012 #3
    Since E=-dV/dr, and E inside the sphere is zero, therefore -dV/dr is zero and therefore V=constant as the rate of change of potential is zero. Hence, the potential inside the sphere is equal to the potential at the surface of sphere.

5. May 12, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You missed a minus sign, and do not forget that the integration involves an additional constant.
    If E=kq/r2 the potential is

[itex]V=-\int{Edr}=-\int{k\frac{q}{r^2}}=k\frac{q}{r}+C[/itex]

It is very important to note that the potential is continuous. It does not jump at an interface. You need two find the constant C for each domain.

The potential is zero at infinity. That means C=0 for r≥c, V=kq/r for r≥c,so it is V(c)=kq/c at the outer surface of the hollow sphere.

The electric field is zero inside a conductor so the potential is constant.
    The potential is continuous, it is the same at the inner side of the outer surface as outside: V=kq/c, and stays the same in the whole shell, even at radius b: V(b)=kq/c.

The potential in the empty space between r=a and r=b is of the form V(r)=kq/r+C' again, with a different constant as in the domain r>c. And the continuity requires that V(b)=kq/b+C'=kq/c at r=b. Find C', and then calculate V(a).

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook