1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential problem. Conceptual.

1. May 3, 2009 #1
    Problem: An electron moving parallel to the x-axis has an initial speed of V1 at the origin. It's speed is reduced to V2 at the point x=2 (V2<V1). Calculate the potential difference between the origin and the point x=2. Which point is at the higher potential?

I was able to calculate the potential difference pretty easily but I got the second part wrong. I thought the higher potential would be at the point x=2 but the book says the origin. Here is my reasoning, please tell me where I'm going wrong:

Since the electron is decelerating along the positive x-axis, it is experiencing a force due to an electric field pointing in the -x direction. Since electric potential decreases as you move along the direction of an electric field, the origin should be at lower potential.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi haydn! :smile:
    hmm :rolleyes: … would this be one of those negatively charged electrons? :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook