Electric Potential Problem - Fixed Template

In summary, the problem involves finding the distance "x" from a charge q1 where the net electric potential is zero. With the given information of a charge q1 located at the origin and a charge q2 located a distance "d" from the origin, the equation V1-V2 is used to determine the net electric potential. By substituting in the values and solving for x, the final answer is (3d/4). It is important to be careful with signs and set up the equations correctly.
Zackkkkkk

Homework Statement

An electric charge q1 (-6e) is located at the origin. A second electric charge q2 (+2e) is located a distance "d" from the origin. In terms of "d", what is the distance "x" from q1 where the net electric potential is zero? Assume for this problem that x<d.2.Relevant equations
I need a solid explanation on how to do this problem properly. I have a strong feeling that this can't be right (my attempt). I need to be able to understand and work problems like this for my upcoming exam. Any help would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vtotal = V1 + V2.
If Vtotal = 0 then V1+V2=0.
V1-V2
kq1/x = - kq2/d-x
q1/x = - q2/d-x
(q1(d-x))/(-q2) = x
3(d-x) = x
3d = 4x
(3d/4) = x[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Zackkkkkk said:

Homework Statement

An electric charge q1 (-6e) is located at the origin. A second electric charge q2 (+2e) is located a distance "d" from the origin. In terms of "d", what is the distance "x" from q1 where the net electric potential is zero? Assume for this problem that x<d.2.Relevant equations
I need a solid explanation on how to do this problem properly. I have a strong feeling that this can't be right (my attempt). I need to be able to understand and work problems like this for my upcoming exam. Any help would be appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

Vtotal = V1 + V2.
If Vtotal = 0 then V1+V2=0.
V1-V2 [/B]##\quad \quad ## Looks like a missing "=" sign, V1 = -V2
kq1/x = - kq2/(d-x)
q1/x = - q2/(d-x)
(q1(d-x))/(-q2) = x
3(d-x) = x
3d = 4x
(3d/4) = x
Other than what appears to be a typo above, and the lack of some needed sets of parentheses, that looks good.

I'm pretty sure that the final answer is correct.

SammyS said:
Other than what appears to be a typo above, and the lack of some needed sets of parentheses, that looks good.

I'm pretty sure that the final answer is correct.
Thank you for your input, friend.

What is an electric potential problem?

An electric potential problem is a type of problem in physics that involves finding the electric potential at a point or in a region of space. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is used to analyze the behavior of electric fields and charges.

What is a fixed template in an electric potential problem?

A fixed template in an electric potential problem refers to a specific arrangement or configuration of charges that is used as a starting point for solving the problem. It is a pre-defined template that allows scientists to easily analyze and calculate the electric potential at different points in space.

What are some common applications of electric potential problems?

Electric potential problems have many practical applications, including in the design of electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of electric fields in materials, and in the study of biological systems such as neurons and muscles.

What are the units of electric potential?

The SI unit of electric potential is volts (V), named after the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta. Other common units for electric potential include joules per coulomb (J/C) and electron volts (eV).

How is electric potential different from electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related concepts, but they are not the same. Electric potential is a scalar quantity that describes the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another. Electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that describes the force experienced by a charge at a given point in space. In simple terms, electric potential describes the potential energy of a charge, while electric field describes the force acting on a charge.